Official Review: Aniyah’s First Day of School

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Official Review: Aniyah’s First Day of School

Post by Jagiine »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Aniyah’s First Day of School" by Rachel Tully.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Change can be a scary thing, especially to young children who aren’t very experienced with big changes. That is why Rachel Tully, a teacher and mom in New York, wrote Aniyah’s First Day of School.

Readers peek in on Aniyah and her mom as they talk the night before her first day of school. While Aniyah should be drifting off to sleep in anticipation of her first day, she keeps insisting that she’s “not ready.” Mom tries to encourage Aniyah with things she can look forward to, but in the end, Aniyah needs a unique idea to give her the confidence she needs to start school.

When reading the book, the first thing I noticed was how colorful the illustrations are. As a child (and even as an adult), I most enjoyed images with bright colors, so I think the publication’s palette is perfect to hold the attention of its target market. Additionally, the illustrations show a mixed-race family, which I appreciate. Interracial families are common, and I believe that everyday depictions of them help to establish them as normal. Each assurance by Mom is accompanied by an illustrated thought bubble showing how Aniyah thinks things could go wrong, which I found to be cute. However, all of Aniyah’s imaginings of her future classmates depict only white children (perhaps one child of Asian descent, but I cannot be sure). I find this discouraging whether this was the actual experience of Tully’s daughter (the book’s muse) or the artist falling into a limited view of ordinary.

I also had an issue with the text, as the font seemed surprisingly small. It might look better in a physical copy, but it was not affected by changing my reader's font size. Thankfully, aside from this small issue, the written content is very impressive! The work is very well edited, with only one punctuation error sticking out to me. Tully wrote with simple sentences, which should be easily understood by preschoolers and kindergarteners. Additionally, she used a variety of synonyms, which can help encourage language development. The repetitive sentence structure may help children connect synonyms they previously had not recognized.

Overall, I found Aniyah’s First Day of School to be a great little book. In fact, it is one I would like to come back to when I have a child approaching school age. In light of how well the book was written, edited, and illustrated, I feel confident awarding it 4 out of 4 stars! Any family with a child who will soon be attending school for the first time may find this book useful in alleviating the child’s anxiety. If a child is not worried about school but is highly impressionable, I suggest avoiding the book simply to prevent accidentally embedding concern.

Aniyah’s First Day of School
View: on Bookshelves
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This is so sweet, all children need a little encouragement to get them going. Thanks for the great review
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

Booklover Becca wrote: 07 May 2021, 15:34 This is so sweet, all children need a little encouragement to get them going. Thanks for the great review
Definitely! Thanks for stopping by :tiphat:
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

It is great to have books that explore the concerns of children. Likewise, I hope the issue with the fonts gets fixed to improve the digital-format reading experience.
Thanks for the insights.
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

sssns wrote: 07 May 2021, 21:31 It is great to have books that explore the concerns of children. Likewise, I hope the issue with the fonts gets fixed to improve the digital-format reading experience.
Thanks for the insights.
Yes, I believe this book has great potential, and that small change would make it better for sure. Thanks for dropping by!
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Sounds like a cute read for children starting school; it's a shame about the small fonts, but it sounds like that's only a minor negative, anyhow. Thanks for the intro!
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

This sounds really warm and cute. I have seen kids that throw serious tantrums on their first day.
The nerves and all, but it would be nice to recomend to kids who are just starting school.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

Might be a cute book for teachers to read to their preschoolers or kindergartners as well. It sounds like a perfect first day of school book so all the students can see they are all on the same page with nerves and anxiety. Would make a great group discussion and help to alleviate those first-day jitters. Thanks for a great review!
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

MsTri wrote: 10 May 2021, 09:59 Sounds like a cute read for children starting school; it's a shame about the small fonts, but it sounds like that's only a minor negative, anyhow. Thanks for the intro!
Yes, definitely just a minor fault. Thanks for reading!
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

Eddy E wrote: 11 May 2021, 07:28 This sounds really warm and cute. I have seen kids that throw serious tantrums on their first day.
The nerves and all, but it would be nice to recomend to kids who are just starting school.
Yes, I can see a lot of kids using this story to remind themselves that everything will be OK when they go to school. Thanks for your input!
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

cd20 wrote: 11 May 2021, 17:30 Might be a cute book for teachers to read to their preschoolers or kindergartners as well. It sounds like a perfect first day of school book so all the students can see they are all on the same page with nerves and anxiety. Would make a great group discussion and help to alleviate those first-day jitters. Thanks for a great review!
Thank you for your thoughts. Reading this book in school is a great idea that I had not thought of!
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

It's wonderful to see how day-to-day concepts are being incorporated into children's books nowadays, like the first day of school! The language used is simple and fun, and the illustrations are amazing.
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

Medhansh Bhardwaj wrote: 31 Aug 2021, 01:29 It's wonderful to see how day-to-day concepts are being incorporated into children's books nowadays, like the first day of school! The language used is simple and fun, and the illustrations are amazing.
For sure! I think a lot of families will find this story relatable. Thanks for coming by.

Return to “Children's Books”