Official Review: The Firma Twins and the Purple Staff of ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Official Review: The Firma Twins and the Purple Staff of ...

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Firma Twins and the Purple Staff of Death" by D. H. Timpko.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Complicated hieroglyphics riddles. An ancestral priest mummy. Horrifying blood-drinking rats. A demanding school play. This is all part of life for twins Isis and Electra Firma.

The Firma line is an oddity. They come from a long generation of twins that started thousands of years ago. Isis’ and Electra’s parents each have an identical sibling; their brothers, their grandparents, their aunts, and their uncles all have a twin. But, the twelve-year-old sisters soon discover that there’s more to their genes: A deeper secret lurks in their family tree—something magical and dangerous.

On their twelfth birthday, studious Isis—much to her sister’s chagrin—picked to see the mummy exhibition at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C. What should be a much-anticipated birthday bash, proves to be anything but.

In the middle of the exhibition, a mummy miraculously comes to life and warns Isis to find the Purple Staff of Death. From here on out, Isis endures a series of strange and unexplained occurrences: an eerie black limousine spying on them, the sudden disappearance of gray squirrels, and an out-of-body experience (that car crash must have affected her head). Nevertheless, Isis, Electra, and their best friends Kelly and Phoenix embark on a treasure hunt for the Purple Staff of Death—only to be entangled in a skein of problems.

Aimed at middle school readers, The Firma Twins and the Purple Staff of Death by D. H. Timpko is the first book in the series entitled A Firma Twins Adventure. Though this installment can be read alone, it builds the background for this high-paced adventure-mystery genre.

Timpko constructed a witty, energetic, and whimsical plot. It was a thrill getting caught in the embedded side conflicts. I especially enjoyed how ancient history and urban geography info-bytes were knitted into the storyline. In a wink, the story became both entertaining and informational. The reader is swept away on an expedition throughout Washington D.C. and its famous landmarks. For example, I learned something about the Mall, the Smithsonian, and President’s Park. Occasionally, an interesting fact about ancient Egypt, Rome, or Greece will pop up here and there; for instance, many of the characters’ names were inspired by these civilizations.

Timpko’s character development is tiptop; their tone is a perfect match to their demeanors, quirks, and roles. Moreover, the twins (and their friends) are portrayed as active and inquisitive. I appreciated that these protagonists could—possibly—have a positive influence on younger readers. Also, there was a fair, though small, representation of different family structures. For example, an adoptive family and a strong, but imperfect family (the Firmas).

As a result, I rate The Firma Twins and the Purple Staff of Death a perfect 4 out of 4 stars. In my opinion, there is no negative aspect and absolutely nothing to dislike about this book; hence, a lower rating would be baseless. Moreover, I cannot wait to grab the next tome. The few errors found were minor; without a doubt, this book was professionally edited.

A fusion of Night at the Museum and National Treasure, this book would be perfect on a summer reading list. Also, I’d highly recommend it to picky readers. Anyone who enjoys mummies and ancient Egyptian themes will be pleased with this story. There are a few instances of borderline profanity and mentions of needles and blood; therefore, I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone sensitive to these issues.

The Firma Twins and the Purple Staff of Death
View: on Bookshelves
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Isis and Electra The Firma Twins will be a good read. The Twins adventure will be filled with new and different creatures. What is the Purple staff of Death!! Thanks for a great review.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

This is an incredibly detailed review and great to read. Sounds like a good book with lots of interesting details included.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

WADonnelly wrote: 02 May 2021, 12:15 This is an incredibly detailed review and great to read. Sounds like a good book with lots of interesting details included.
I hope you get a chance to try it! Thanks for stopping by! :tiphat:
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Kavita Shah wrote: 02 May 2021, 06:37 Isis and Electra The Firma Twins will be a good read. The Twins adventure will be filled with new and different creatures. What is the Purple staff of Death!! Thanks for a great review.
:D Sorry I can't tell you what it is, except that it is purple! Thanks for stopping by!
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 02 May 2021, 12:37
Kavita Shah wrote: 02 May 2021, 06:37 Isis and Electra The Firma Twins will be a good read. The Twins adventure will be filled with new and different creatures. What is the Purple staff of Death!! Thanks for a great review.
:D Sorry I can't tell you what it is, except that it is purple! Thanks for stopping by!
:lol: That's new info. :lol2:
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I love an witty and energetic plot with mummies and paranormal themes! Thank you for your recommendation, and I will put in on my list!
Clare Jose
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

This seems like a fun read. Definitely gonna curl up with it sometime soon. :wink:
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

What a fun read for teens and, like you said, also educational. It sounds like a book I would’ve read multiple times back in the day. Thanks for the great review!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 03 May 2021, 03:56 I love an witty and energetic plot with mummies and paranormal themes! Thank you for your recommendation, and I will put in on my list!
You're welcome, and thanks for stopping by! :tiphat:
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Clare Jose wrote: 03 May 2021, 08:25 This seems like a fun read. Definitely gonna curl up with it sometime soon. :wink:
I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Booklover Becca wrote: 03 May 2021, 09:33 What a fun read for teens and, like you said, also educational. It sounds like a book I would’ve read multiple times back in the day. Thanks for the great review!
:D I would've done the same thing too! Thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Children's Books”