Official Review: The Haunted House by IB Gumnut

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Coromandel Dreamin' by Ron Murray

Official Review: The Haunted House by IB Gumnut

Post by Praise GodWord »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Haunted House" by IB Gumnut.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Children are frightened by mystical beings. But sometimes, it can be a source of fun for them. The Haunted House was written by I. B. Gumnut. The author's story of a haunted house inspired this children's book.

Some kids were afraid of a certain house because they believed a ghost haunted it. In the house, there was a mouse who was responsible for this continuous terrifying experience. But Mary was bold, and she would discover whether it was a ghost or a mere trick.

I believe the illustrator did an excellent job by aiding the interpretation of the story. In other words, the pictures were necessary, as they explained the story. Virtual learners will rightly enjoy this book.

The positive thing about this novel was that it was written in a poetic style. I enjoyed the style of communication used by the writer. An instance was where the writer said, “An ancient piano would tinkle a tune on the night of a full and rising moon a stack of pots would come crashing down.”

What I liked most was that the book has two sides. The writer was inspired to create this story. Hence, the author revealed the fun aspect of the story and the scary part of the story. Therefore, children will likely have mixed feelings about the book. I enjoyed this aspect because it created some tension and kept me anticipating what the end will be.

The novel was not predictable, as there were some elements of suspense in the whole story. I desired to see what will eventually happen between the fearful kids and the scary ghost. This attribute will make readers very anxious.

I did not see anything I disliked about the story. Likewise, nothing was negative about the book. The book was exceptionally well edited. No error was found. Therefore, I rate this book four out of four stars. I recommend this novel to children whose attention is easily attached to suspenseful moonlight stories. Children between ages three to five will also enjoy it.

The Haunted House
View: on Bookshelves
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

I like that pictures are used for illustrations in this book. It will make the reading experience next to reality. Kudo to the reviewer.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

I like that the story is unpredictable. This sounds like an interesting story.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Daniella Joseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Daniella Joseph »

This story is very interesting and I like it but it need a little more details about the story and not just the author☺☺
Last edited by Daniella Joseph on 18 May 2021, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

This is a nice children’s book that will help children to overcome their fear of ghosts. Congratulations BOTD!
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

This sounds like a great children's book, but I would be hesitant to read it to young children who are timid. I love the idea that illustrations will make what is happening in the story more apparent to the children. Thanks for the great review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Interesting premise. As a child, I was fascinated by scary things, now I am afraid of everything. Lol. Who knows is that related. Love the illustration and none predictable storyline too. Great job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Berries 14
Currently Reading: Nimue
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-berries-14.html
Latest Review: Purpose by Gina Bianchini

Post by Berries 14 »

This is a night time story book for kid's to overcome their fear and be positive about
night time and darkness. It is also an awesome book for their curios self's.🌼🧚‍♀️🌼
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 806
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: When Black Shoes Turn Red by Tom McKenna
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

Children will love this mystery story which has elements of horror in it. And the lovely illustrations will add more to the fun.
Thanks for this amazing review. :tiphat:
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

Fun, scary, and unpredictable. Sounds like a good book for kids of all ages.
-Amy
Jorge Leon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Mrs Geddes and other stories by Saman Mahanama Dissanayake

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

An interesting children's book about a haunted house. It includes images that help in the interpretation of the story. Also, it is written in poetic style. I find it attractive that the book mixes the scary part with the fun part.
Ebi Robert
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebi-robert.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Ebi Robert »

Children are that way: innocent and afraid of darkness, especially when it looks like something somewhere in the dark is lurking around. It may be worse when they wake up only the see the darkness. I can relate with this book. The reviewer has done a good just job by using simple works to give an overview of the book. I would to have a look at it.
Rgoodch2310
Currently Reading: White Smoke
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Rgoodch2310 »

It sounds like a good book to help children who are fearful of ghosts and the things that go bump in the night.
vitalisvicky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vitalisvicky.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by vitalisvicky »

At first, I must acknowledge that the book's cover is amazing. The concept of mystical powers, though frightening, but at some point it is intriguing. I also wonder how the author of this great children's book was able to combine the two aspects (poetry and mystical powers) to come up with such an excellent book. Also, thanks for the review.
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

This is a children's book that turns scary story into the fun one. I love how the book wakes up mixed feelings about the story. It talks about haunting, but in a fun way. Definitely an unique story.

Return to “Children's Books”