Review by mac83 -- Elizabeth's Garden

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mac83
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 806
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mac83.html
Latest Review: Flowers of Peace by Mohamed Rabie

Review by mac83 -- Elizabeth's Garden

Post by mac83 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Elizabeth's Garden" by Phillip Leighton-Daly.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Elizabeth's Garden is a short novel written by Phillip Leighton-Daly. It is a historical fiction book set in the early 1800s. During this time, there were river pirates who would kill others to survive. The law wouldn't do anything to stop them. The law seemed to turn a blind eye to them instead, but they had no trouble in arresting those trying to do right.

Elizabeth, the main character, lives with her parents until pirates kill Elizabeth's father. Her and her mother relocate to the mission. While she is there, Elizabeth grows vegetables to help the injured and the homeless. She also ends up helping to relocate orphaned children alongside others living at the mission. Through all she does, Liza never forgets how little the law cared about what happened to her father and how they did nothing to help when he died.

Those who enjoy short novels will like this book. It is a quick read. Readers who like books with detail to get a visual would also want to read this one. Those looking for something longer, or a longer plot, will probably be a little bored reading this book. I would say the book is geared more towards older teens, young adults, and adults based on the content.

I found Elizabeth's Garden to be an interesting book. I liked how the author would go into detail to set the scene of the story. It helped paint an image in my mind. The story is told from an old man's perspective of what took place to Elizabeth Davies. As the reader, I could feel the emotion behind the story and the loss he suffered. I really enjoyed Liza's character. She is headstrong and wants to make a difference. She stands her ground with people in power and makes it known they are wrong, even if there are consequences to her. I also liked the length of the book. It was a quick read that contained an interesting plot that didn't lack details. There really wasn't anything to dislike about this book.

I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars. It appears to be professionally edited and contains no errors. The characters are enjoyable and relatable. The plot is interesting and keeps the reader's attention. The author did a remarkable job appealing to the reader's senses with all the descriptions in the book. I enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to others. I look forward to reading other books by this author.

Elizabeth's Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mac :techie-reference:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”