Official Review: DEXTER Fittin In -Stepping Though Life O...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Official Review: DEXTER Fittin In -Stepping Though Life O...

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "DEXTER Fittin In -Stepping Though Life One Paw at a Time" by Michele Webb.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dexter Fittin' In: Stepping Through Life One Paw at a Time by Michele Webb is a children's book that follows a puppy living in an animal shelter. He is confused about so many things about the world and is unsure about the woman that has just come to pick him up and introduce him to his new family. His new name is Dexter Eli. He spends the next few days adjusting to his new life in his new home while understanding his role in the family and facing his many fears. Join Dexter on his journey by picking up a copy of this intriguing self-development-themed book.

There are a lot of lessons to be learned from Dexter's short story, particularly revolving around threading unfamiliar territories in life. Children will get to understand that it is okay to be afraid when trying something new, and they will also learn about the unrivaled satisfaction of conquering this fear. A few of the difficulties Dexter faces include climbing the stairs, getting used to and trusting other humans, and having to wash when he was dirty. The main character being a puppy is a nice touch from the author, as I found him lovable, and children will love him too.

The book also contains some colorful illustrations showing us all the characters in the story and some activities they engaged in. We also meet other animals, like squirrels and goats, which children will learn to identify through the illustrations. I would have appreciated the inclusion of more of these illustrations, however, as they were few and far between. Most of the story is told through the text, and this can be tedious for some children to read through.

Also, the book is heavy on slang words, like cause, member, ain't, and bout, which could be confusing for some children. It can also make the book more endearing to some children that understand these words, but I noticed that there was also the inclusion of a word that may be considered as profanity: "heck." I do not think that this is appropriate for this kind of book, and this is what I dislike the most.

With respect to editing, I found three errors while reading through the text, which implied that it was professionally edited. I like the book's organization, and I feel that the book can be broken down to create a series, which will make it easier to read through. For the important lessons included in the book, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. The profanity and a low number of illustrations convinced me against giving the maximum rating. I would recommend this book to children between the ages of nine and thirteen.

DEXTER Fittin In -Stepping Though Life One Paw at a Time
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Petruschka1
Currently Reading: India in Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petruschka1.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by Petruschka1 »

I like the message of this book, that it is okay for children to feel afraid when trying something new. Children will love the adventures of the adopted puppy.
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

I like that this book is colorful and i feel that vibrance in colors is very important in every children’s book
Scarbaby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarbaby.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Scarbaby »

I love the concept of a furry friend teaching children little life lessons. I do agree that the word “heck” is probably not appropriate for a children’s book, but I’m still interested to read it. Thank you for a great review!
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

A child will relate to Dexters Adventure in his new home. There should be more of Illustrations as it gives better understanding of what is written. You've written a very good review.

Return to “Children's Books”