Official Review: What Is Your Favorite Color?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Official Review: What Is Your Favorite Color?

Post by AvidBibliophile »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What Is Your Favorite Color?" by Joanie McClinton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What Is Your Favorite Color? by Joanie O. McClinton is a concise children’s book that is both interactive and educational. The book’s cover art features a vibrant rainbow arced over a collective group of six smiling children. An equal gender distribution is depicted there, as are a variety of different ethnic groups and skin tones.

Over a span of 18 pages, there are alternating sections of text and colored illustrations. The colors featured throughout the book are all simple and straightforward hues: green, red, blue, orange, purple, yellow, white, and black. The accompanying illustrations are all readily recognizable shapes, foods, and elements of nature: tree leaves, fire engines, blue skies, pumpkins, grapes, sunshine, snowmen, and shoes.

While there are human characters visible on the book’s cover, there are no named children present or depicted in the actual book itself. The written portions pose simple questions for the reader and enforce language recognition through repetition. McClinton has experience teaching English as a second language, so from an educational standpoint, she has successfully embedded a writing approach that actually serves to assist readers of all ages. I will say that one broad religious reference is made, but it only involves a simple statement about wearing black shoes to church on Sundays.

I enjoyed seeing so many simple terms appear in easy-to-read fonts and formats, and I appreciated seeing an emphasis placed on nutritious foods, seasonal delights, and outdoor involvement. There was nothing I notably disliked about this book, but there was a slight pattern inconsistency with the assigned page placement. Since there were an equal number of illustrated pages and typed pages, I expected them to predictably alternate back and forth, in an every-other-page distribution, but some pictures came before their written descriptions while other pictures followed their accompanying sections of text.

I did not encounter a single grammatical or typographical error while reading, so I can say that What Is Your Favorite Color? was exceptionally well edited. I award this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars, and I feel that it would be most appropriate for children between the ages of four and seven. I would recommend it to any parent, teacher, classroom, or household that appreciates a blend of rainbows, unity, tints, pigments, and exploration!

What Is Your Favorite Color?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jewel Francis
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jewel Francis »

My favorite colour is every color I believe this book will bring som much good understanding abut colors to kids
RetiredOBNurse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RetiredOBNurse »

This book sounds fun and educational for a young child to read! It challenges their mind to correlate colors that belong to certain objects and therefore provides a new visual skill! Wonderful review!
AvidBibliophile

Jewel Francis wrote: 20 Mar 2021, 01:51 My favorite colour is every color I believe this book will bring som much good understanding abut colors to kids
I do love all the colors too! Such a rainbow of possibilities exists in the world. Thanks for reading and commenting. 🎈
AvidBibliophile

RetiredOBNurse wrote: 20 Mar 2021, 02:13 This book sounds fun and educational for a young child to read! It challenges their mind to correlate colors that belong to certain objects and therefore provides a new visual skill! Wonderful review!
It does seem to function as a great training tool! The pages are visually vibrant and encouraging, and the tone stays enthusiastic and upbeat throughout. Thank you for the kind words! 🌈
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

The book is a wonderful way to teach different concepts.
You wrote a great review 👏
AvidBibliophile

Devalsodha wrote: 20 Mar 2021, 11:05 The book is a wonderful way to teach different concepts.
You wrote a great review 👏
Thank you so much! And I wholeheartedly agree 🧮 Kids love colors and colors associations are a fun way to reinforce language lessons.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Sounds like a very colorful and educational book for kids. Great review!
AvidBibliophile

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 21 Mar 2021, 03:43 Sounds like a very colorful and educational book for kids. Great review!
Educationally colorful in every way! I can definitely see how such a book might prove to be a valuable resource for language comprehension. Thank you for the kind comment. 🌈
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I’m surprised there weren’t any named children in the book, but it seems the author wanted to focus on other educational points. I personally would enjoy some friendly faces of children or animals every now and then. :cat: Thank you for your informative review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
AvidBibliophile

MsH2k wrote: 21 Mar 2021, 17:12 I’m surprised there weren’t any named children in the book, but it seems the author wanted to focus on other educational points. I personally would enjoy some friendly faces of children or animals every now and then. :cat: Thank you for your informative review!
I will be honest and say that I was surprised not to find a single character in the book itself, but since it wasn’t a story with any sort of plot, I guess the straightforward instructional prompts made sense. And you know I love a happy animal face, so those are always welcome here!! Thank you, sweet friend. 🐱🐶
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It's red! :) I have read only positive opinion about this book, so it must be special. Thank you for another lovely review!
AvidBibliophile

raluca_mihaila wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 10:17 It's red! :) I have read only positive opinion about this book, so it must be special. Thank you for another lovely review!
Red is always a great color choice! 🍎💯🌹
And I think there’s another children’s book on our OBC site with the same title (that’s been reviewed multiple times), but this is actually a new book. Thanks for the sweet words always!
Lizvip
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizvip.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant

Post by Lizvip »

This seems like an interesting book for kids especially when they are still learning about colours. Very cool!
AvidBibliophile

Lizvip wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 16:14 This seems like an interesting book for kids especially when they are still learning about colours. Very cool!
For sure! It’s a great instructional tool for simple color associations. Thanks for taking a minute to check it out and comment. 🧮

Return to “Children's Books”