Official Review: Megan and the Broken Snowflake Factory

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: Megan and the Broken Snowflake Factory by Karla Ridpath

Official Review: Megan and the Broken Snowflake Factory

Post by Joy Phill »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Megan and the Broken Snowflake Factory" by Karla Ridpath.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What virtues would you want your children to imbibe? Would you want them to be selfless and helpful? Kids can learn much about being helpful from Megan and the Broken Snowflake Factory by Karla Ridpath.

Megan peers out of her window, expecting snowfall in vain. Disappointed, she fell asleep, dreaming about snow, children sledding, and building happy snowmen. Later, she learned of the broken snowflake factory from the little men in white clothes. Could Megan make a difference? Would she volunteer to help? What would be the outcome? These questions are answered in this fascinating book.

Megan and the Broken Snowflake Factory is a children's book of 28 pages. Expressive and colorful pictures by Susan Hassman adorn the pages of this book. The narrative is written in simple grammar which is suitable for its intended audience, and the plot is creative enough to catch the fancy of kids.

Karla's book can help in training kids to be helpful. When Megan learned of the faulty factory, she said without hesitation "Maybe I can help you." This is my favorite part of the story. Although the story is very fictitious for adults, I think children will find it believable.

However, this book does not offer much literacy education. This is what I dislike most about this book. There were no literary devices such as rhymes in the narrative. Also, some of the illustrations could have been better developed and made more realistic. I observed that the illustration of Megan on page 14 and the little men on page 15 appear a little drab.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Its editing was awesome, with age-appropriate grammar. However, I deducted a star due to the dislikes mentioned above. Nevertheless, this book is a good choice when sourcing for children's books with good morals. It is suitable for kids between the ages of 5 to 9 years.

Megan and the Broken Snowflake Factory
View: on Bookshelves
Bookishkrish24
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishkrish24.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Bookishkrish24 »

Kids need to learn about helping and caring. Reading this kind of book will really help them to get more social. Thanks for your great review.
Etienneza
Currently Reading: The Ancestor's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etienneza.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Etienneza »

Indeed, one of a few key virtues.If we can find the gateway to caring for ourselves and others in healthy, uplifting ways we are on track for quality of life.The book helps to lay the bedrock of heart and mind. Thank you for a super review.
cogitononsum
Currently Reading: The Great Gatsby
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogitononsum.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by cogitononsum »

This seems rather adorable, from the art to the message about the importance of helping. I like the review itself too, for the soft soothing way that it has presented the book in. Thank you.
samkele mosia
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samkele-mosia.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by samkele mosia »

The book seems to be educational and also entertaining. Children need to learn the value of uplifting and caring for each other from a tender age. What a great way to instill that value unto them. Great job on the review. I will definitely read the book to my toddlers.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

This book seems educational. Making decisions can be quite sketchy and hard but determination would help one to pull through. Good review.

Return to “Children's Books”