Official Review: Be Proud to Be Blue by Diane Hull

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Official Review: Be Proud to Be Blue by Diane Hull

Post by JKO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Be Proud to Be Blue" by Diane Hull.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Be Proud to Be Blue by Diane Hull is a pictorial children’s book that follows a baby bird in its search for playmates. The book starts with the bird approaching a school of fish to join them in playing, but they reject his offer because he is blue. The bird becomes dejected when the same thing happens with the horses and frogs. Who would play with the blue baby bird? The volume is illustrated by Jan Dolby.

This book is an easy 4 out of 4 stars for me. I found nothing to dislike about the book. The 16-page volume is sure to capture the attention of its intended audience from start to finish. I mean, every good children’s novel should have clear illustrations, and this publication checked that box comfortably. The animals in the pictures were easily identifiable. Furthermore, the paintings would not only make readers more interested in the story but also make them refreshed.

Additionally, I think it is vital for any children’s book to have an underlying lesson to teach the kids. In this case, I could easily draw two lessons. The first lesson I think readers could take home is the importance of persistence. Lines do not always fall into pleasant places after your first try, and you need to keep pushing no matter how many times you get rejected. I think it is important people understand this fact from a tender age. Also, I liked that the author used unambiguous words to tell the story. As a result, kids would find the expressions easy to understand.

The most significant lesson in this book for me is that you shouldn’t discriminate and make decisions against people on account of their color. We live in times when several campaigns against racial discrimination have been launched, so what better way to eliminate the problem than to teach children the right thing through books like these? “Be happy with who you are” is another lesson this book seeks to teach. I can confidently say that this book is a rich pool of knowledge that could prepare youngsters for the future.

Moreover, this book is exceptionally edited, even though I expected nothing less, given the book’s short length and its limited number of words. I found no errors throughout the text. I recommend this piece to children between the ages of 3 and 8. Likewise, I would also suggest that the youngsters read the book with someone that can explain the book’s underlying morals to them, perhaps their parents or teachers.

Be Proud to Be Blue
View: on Bookshelves
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

This sounds like an excellent book for children. I love children’s books that teach important lessons. Being kind to everyone regardless of their color is a very important lesson. As is not giving up.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Indeed we must learn to be persistent in all our life pursuits despite the challenges. Also, we must guard against giving up in the face of discrimination. Great review.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I am always on the lookout for cute children's books, and this seems to be one of them!
Vkaur
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vkaur.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere

Post by Vkaur »

I find the dual notion of non-discrimination and taking pride in one's race a fantastic moral statement for children in this contemporary age. I also like what you mentioned about persistence, indicating that racial discrimination will unfortunately remain prevalent, but one can find such motivation from these books. Thank you for your review! Even as an adult, I'd happily read this!
Etienneza
Currently Reading: The Ancestor's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etienneza.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Etienneza »

Color is only that; color and nothing more. We learn from our environment and parents how to relate to those that look, talk and behave differently from ourselves. If we are predisposed to regard those who present different characteristics from us as lesser individuals , we need to challenge these perhaps. The concise volume hold more than its weight in wisdom! Thank you for an enlightening review.
Etienneza
Currently Reading: The Ancestor's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etienneza.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Etienneza »

Color is only that; color and nothing more. We learn from our environment and parents how to relate to those that look, talk and behave differently from ourselves. If we are predisposed to regard those who present different characteristics from us as lesser individuals , we need to challenge these perhaps. The concise volume hold more than its weight in wisdom! Thank you for an enlightening review.
Petruschka1
Currently Reading: India in Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petruschka1.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by Petruschka1 »

What a cute children's book with an underlying message! Don't ever give up in life whatever the obstacles. It is important to address issues like racism with young children so that it doesn't become a problem in later life.

Return to “Children's Books”