Official Review: Chase Found Grit by Jeanne Evelyn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Official Review: Chase Found Grit by Jeanne Evelyn

Post by Verna Coy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chase Found Grit" by Jeanne Evelyn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chase Found Grit by Jeanne Evelyn is a timely book that perfectly suits the era we live in today. It is the story of how a young boy found grit while doing school at home via computer. It is designed to show kids how going to school at home can work while giving them confidence about doing things differently during the pandemic of COVID-19.

Chase was tired of going to school from his bedroom. Sitting on a computer all day was not how he was used to going to school. He missed his friends, and he found himself missing school and its activities. When he is reminded that his essay is late, he begins to lose hope. Will Chase find the strength he needs to accomplish his work? To find out, you must read this book!

First of all, I loved the cover of this book. It features a boy at school, his laptop open, on his home desk. The bright colors are captivating and will appeal to kids at first glance. The way the words of the title are colored differently causes certain letters to stand out, which draws attention to the book's central theme. I liked how Chase had an enthusiastic expression.

The writing style of this book is easy to read and friendly. The story and dialogue are written in rhyme, which gives it a lighter feel, suiting the book's overall message well. Each page of Chase's thoughts communicates problems and progresses to solving them through the help of a teacher or someone else available to the student. It mimics how online chat looks on a computer and adds a touch of reality to this work.

The character development is excellent for such a short work. At the beginning of the book, Chase's feelings of hopelessness and overwhelm are clear. By the middle of the book, readers see Chase develop his strengths and abilities to cope and find his hidden talents.

What I liked best about this book is the upbeat, encouraging attitude that the narrative carries. Kids have gone through so much stress this year. I love how this book shines a light on their accomplishments, abilities, and personal talents. They don't often see that themselves. They see that things are hard. When shown how to work with the tools they have, it is incredible what they can do.

This book will appeal to kids of any age that do home school. It will also appeal to parents. I could find absolutely nothing to dislike about it. It is an excellent guide for finding the best way to turn a bad day around and try again when things don't seem to be working out. It offers encouragement and shows simple ways of fixing problems. I can't think of anyone it would not be beneficial to in some way. It is exceptionally edited, and I found no errors. For these reasons, I happily rate this book with 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to home school teachers, parents, in-school educators, and students for a fun and educational read.

Chase Found Grit
View: on Bookshelves
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

This sounds indeed as a very appropriate story for the times we're living in!
Vkaur
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vkaur.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere

Post by Vkaur »

It sounds like a very motivating read. I find the upbeat tone very important for receptive purposes. Great review!
Krishnajee100
Favorite Book: THE STORY OF MY LIFE
Currently Reading: art of war
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishnajee100.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Krishnajee100 »

An encouraging story, based on the most problematic situation currently faced by children all over the world. I liked the concept very much. I could recommend it to anyone happily. The review is good and describes the book in a very well manner:).
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

This sounds perfect for kids! Would be great if schools encourage children to read books like this, especially now. I think it's important.
I enjoyed reading your review and I couldn't stop smiling while reading. There is a good message behind the book and it should be known to as many as possible.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
LeighBee
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighbee.html
Latest Review: To Own Two Suns by F. E. Tabor

Post by LeighBee »

My boys are both struggling with home school right now since they miss their old friends at school. It sounds like this book is more about how hard it is to learn in the home school environment. Still, I it looks like a good one to read when their motivation is flagging.
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

Everyone around me, including myself, is facing this difficulty. I totally relate with Chase. Thanks for the review.
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Davvy scott
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Davvy scott »

I loved it,I mean it was awesome coz some how it relates to someone
Xhyetri
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Xhyetri »

Its very good story to motivate kids that they can do something in this early age also. To get successful age don't count, it can be from any body.
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

I love that the book is written with rhymes in it. I think that is a fun way to get children to listen to what is being taught.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

The pandemic has been hard on everyone. I do not think some adults realize the changes and pressures that were put on children to learn remotely. There is so much more to going to school than coursework; socialization and teamwork are a couple of things children learn in a school other than coursework. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-bookowski.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Ah, the times we live in! Who would have thought! I'm glad that books like this one are already available. I'm sure many kids will find them helpful. After all the last two years have been so difficult for them. Very nice review.
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 554
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

An inspirational book for school-going children who are compelled to sit at home and learn via computer in this pandemic era globally.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

What a perfect book to help kids through this trying time of no school because of Covid-19! I have grandchildren so I know the emotional toll this has taken on children not being able to socialize with their friends! This will be perfect to encourage them! Thanks for the great review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I can't possibly imagine how hard the COVID-19 crisis must've been for school-aged kids. The only kids near me are too small for school, so they don't know what they're missing, but socialization is so important.
It is outstanding that a children's book focuses on character development. Kudos to the author! And thank you for your great review!

Return to “Children's Books”