Official Review: A New First Day by Elena Maria Grant

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: 52 - A Tale of Loneliness by Johnny DePalma

Official Review: A New First Day by Elena Maria Grant

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A New First Day" by Elena Maria Grant.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How do you prepare children for the changes and challenges they will face as they return to school during the COVID-19 pandemic? Drawing from her experience as a teacher, Elena Grant provides young readers with a detailed glimpse of what to expect in the classroom in her informative children's book, A New First Day. The story follows Cindy and her mask-clad classmates as they navigate social distancing and classes taught on Zoom. Grant sensitively conveys the challenges Cindy faces as well as her apprehension and frustration.

This timely children's book is 48 pages. It is professionally edited and features lovely illustrations by Tianjian Qu. Both the author and the illustrator include multicultural and bilingual representation through the vocabulary and colorful images of children of different ethnicities. In addition to educating young readers about the virus and necessary precautions, the book traverses themes of fear, frustration, resilience, reassurance, family, faith, joy, and healthy hygiene.

There is a lot to like about this educational picture book. Grant's experience with children is evident; she effectively expresses details from a child's perspective, including Cindy's desire to see her teacher's smiling face behind her mask. Grant also includes age-appropriate humor, such as Cindy's emphatic response that she "didn't want that crown on her head!" after she learned the definition of "corona" in Spanish class. Children will relate to Cindy's delight in making fun face masks during arts and crafts. The illustrations are excellent, and the appearance of the Zoom screen featuring multiple students is quite realistic. The book is an excellent resource for reassuring students beginning or returning to school during the pandemic.

As might be surmised from the previous paragraph, I am unable to name anything I dislike about this delightful children's book. Grant educates young students without scaring them. She also includes an illustrated list of protective precautions and a brief glossary of vocabulary words.

I am pleased to rate A New First Day 4 out of 4 stars. Its relevant topic, educational content, and multicultural representation will appeal to anyone desiring to teach children about staying safe during the pandemic. I recommend it to students through the age of 10, parents, grandparents, and teachers.

A New First Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
LeighBee
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: The Biblical Clock
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighbee.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by LeighBee »

Thank you for your comprehensive review. I wonder if, 100 years from now, books like this will be studied by historians as evidence of how our society dealt with a pandemic, sending terrified children into the classroom, forcing them to face this horrific and deadly disease with not much more than a mask and a prayer. Perhaps books like this can at least help ease the psychological burden of it all.
Jenniferg_1105
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenniferg-1105.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Jenniferg_1105 »

This is such a good idea for a children’s book! Many children would benefit from a colorful children’s book explanation of returning to school. I hope it helps children that are nervous about the return to school and helps parents explain it to their kids in a fun way.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Dartemis
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: Flicker World by Brian Cramer

Post by Dartemis »

It is sad that the children and teenagers of today’s age are still having to deal with this. Like school is already stressful enough as it is, a pandemic definitely isn’t helping in that department. I’m glad that books like these can be a helpful tool for the younger audience that don’t fully understand what is going on. Thank you for your insightful review.
RayRuff
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Body in the Woods
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayruff.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by RayRuff »

Books like these are important for children nowadays. Maybe if they read something like this, it would help ease them. I like how there are no issues with this book in particular. Thank you for your review :)
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Etienneza
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading: The Ancestor's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etienneza.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by Etienneza »

The review encapsulated all the relevant information in a descriptive format. Wisdom of an experienced pedagogue is clear from the text.That you for a super review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

LeighBee wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 15:40 Thank you for your comprehensive review. I wonder if, 100 years from now, books like this will be studied by historians as evidence of how our society dealt with a pandemic, sending terrified children into the classroom, forcing them to face this horrific and deadly disease with not much more than a mask and a prayer. Perhaps books like this can at least help ease the psychological burden of it all.
Thank you for your comment. I have wondered the same thing.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Jenniferg_1105 wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 16:21 This is such a good idea for a children’s book! Many children would benefit from a colorful children’s book explanation of returning to school. I hope it helps children that are nervous about the return to school and helps parents explain it to their kids in a fun way.
I agree! Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Dartemis wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 23:07 It is sad that the children and teenagers of today’s age are still having to deal with this. Like school is already stressful enough as it is, a pandemic definitely isn’t helping in that department. I’m glad that books like these can be a helpful tool for the younger audience that don’t fully understand what is going on. Thank you for your insightful review.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

RayRuff wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 01:15 Books like these are important for children nowadays. Maybe if they read something like this, it would help ease them. I like how there are no issues with this book in particular. Thank you for your review :)
Thank you!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Etienneza wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 04:55 The review encapsulated all the relevant information in a descriptive format. Wisdom of an experienced pedagogue is clear from the text.That you for a super review.
Thanks for your comment.
GreatReviews
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greatreviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by GreatReviews »

This is absolutely a supposed panacea to the covid-19 grief on students; especialy pupils who are returning back to school after the covid break. From your review, this book gives a sustainable, child-friendly approach to protect our pupils and children. Well done for this review
Petruschka1
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petruschka1.html
Latest Review: The Finesser by Patrice Brown

Post by Petruschka1 »

This is such a difficult time for children to return to school. A book written by an experienced teacher to help them overcome any additional obstacles caused by the corona virus is a welcome tool for children and parents. Beautiful illustrations, bilingual language and multiculturalism also go a long way to alleviate fear.
sharon titus
2021 Reading Goal: 101
Currently Reading: Her Eyes Underwater
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-titus.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by sharon titus »

This book is really relatable with present circumstances of every kid as well as teen.
This pandemic has increased the stress and work load for every one including children. We however see their problems as nothing and they get neglected due to our busy life. Great review.
Emma Ozy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Emma Ozy »

Nice one I am happy about these it will go a long way in helping the students

Return to “Children's Books”