Official Review: Q’á:lemi and the 7 Ravens

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Official Review: Q’á:lemi and the 7 Ravens

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Q’á:lemi and the 7 Ravens" by eelonqa K harris.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Q’á:lemi and the 7 Ravens by eelonqa K harris (here and on Amazon, the name is not capitalized) is a children's book. When I downloaded the PDF file, I was startled to see that the file size was 435 megabits. After I started reading, however, I understood why.

According to the author, this book is an adaptation of the German fairy tale "Die sieben Raben" (The seven Ravens) by the Grimm brothers. For those who don't know, The Coast Salish are Indigenous peoples of the Pacific Northwest Coast who live in British Columbia.

The plot of the book is quite simple. There was a couple who had seven children but who wanted to have a girl. When she was finally born, she was a small, fragile baby. As the medicine woman did not know how to cure the newborn, her father sent his children to find special water to save the life of the girl who had just been born. In the end, all seven children become ravens and, after helping their sister, they will have to be saved by her when she grows up.

What most caught my attention in the book is the quality of the illustrations. The physical characters of the book are three-dimensional miniature replicas of persons from the Coast Salish community. After finishing the book, I learned that the figures were crafted, posed, and dressed with a 3D printer's aid. All of this is fantastic and helps the children to have a better visual understanding of what the Coast Salish community is. That's by far what I liked the most in the book.

There is nothing to dislike about this book. The story teaches children important messages such as the importance of sibling love, how important it is to accept differences between people, and how to live a harmonious life in nature. I couldn't find one single grammatical error in the entire book.

Therefore, I rate Q’á:lemi and the 7 Ravens four out of four stars. The message that the book gives is incredible, and the illustrations are of exceptional quality. I had never read a children's book so different and yet so unique. I recommend this book to all children under ten years old.

Q’á:lemi and the 7 Ravens
View: on Bookshelves
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

This sounds like an interesting story with even more interesting illustrations. Also, I wonder the author mentions how to pronounce "Q’á:lemi." Thanks for your review! :tiphat:
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

From the title to its content, this book has definitely piqued my interest! My desire to read this children's book grew tremendously after reading what you said about the illustrations. Thank you for the recommendation!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Children's Books”