Official Review: Behind the Cabin Door by Deanna Ruttenberg

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 373
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Killing Plot by Tahnee Perry

Official Review: Behind the Cabin Door by Deanna Ruttenberg

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Behind the Cabin Door" by Deanna Ruttenberg.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kate's parents are divorced. She's used to spending every summer at a cabin in North Carolina, but she spent last summer with her mom. Now, she's determined to have a great adventure with her friends, twin brothers Pete and Seth. On one of her first days there, she stumbles upon a treehouse, which she decides to check out. There, she finds a group of men who seem shady talking about a shipment and a cave. When she fills in the twins, they are reluctant to get involved and insist it's too dangerous. Will Kate convince Pete and Seth to join in her adventure? Will they figure out what these men are up to?

Behind the Cabin Door by Deanna Ruttenberg is a children's mystery. It is a chapter book. As such, it would be most appropriate for those in the middle grades.

This book reminded me of Nancy Drew or The Hardy Boys. The story moved quickly. At only 106 pages, the book can be read in a short amount of time.

The story is told by Kate in the first-person perspective. I really enjoyed Kate and her sense of adventure; she was the one that made the book come alive. Without her curious spirit and need to get to the bottom of the situation, the book wouldn't exist.

I also appreciated that the author included Kate having divorced parents. With such a high number of kids facing this same situation, it's nice for them to realize they aren't alone. This might help them to open up about their own feelings, as Kate does.

There were a few minor details that were a bit irksome. For one, Kate is constantly dragging the twins into the adventure. Time and again, she begs, they complain, and they capitulate. It gets old after a while.

Also, there are points where the book seems unrealistic. Several times Kate or Kate and the twins escape the bad guys in a way that seems impossible or very unlikely. The bad guys must have very poor eyesight or they just don't pay attention. This, though, seems understandable given the target reader.

All in all, Behind the Cabin Door would be a great book for the intended audience. Therefore, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Though not complex, it's exactly what a child in middle school who is looking for a mystery would enjoy reading. Adults who enjoy simplistic, quick books might appreciate this as well. It would be a good book to read together as a family, particularly if there are older children in the mix.

Behind the Cabin Door
View: on Bookshelves
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
Eutoc
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: The Secret Apartment by Tom Garvey

Post by Eutoc »

The storyline seems interesting. I think adults would enjoy the book since the plot isn't so children-like.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: A Pathway to Freedom by Milca Meruelo

Post by Joy Phill »

Kids in middle school probably won't worry about the unbelievable parts of the story. Thanks for a great review.
Gbemisola Akinremi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by Gbemisola Akinremi »

Interesting read, thanks for the review. Seems the book will be enjoyable, I love adventures, and it's a plus there's a mystery to it.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Eutoc wrote: 11 Feb 2021, 00:44 The storyline seems interesting. I think adults would enjoy the book since the plot isn't so children-like.
Yes, adults would enjoy this. However, I figured out the mystery pretty quickly because I'm a bit older than the intended audience. It was still fun, though.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Joy Phill wrote: 11 Feb 2021, 15:35 Kids in middle school probably won't worry about the unbelievable parts of the story. Thanks for a great review.
Yes, it's perfect for the intended audience. A newer version of some older mysteries. Thanks for commenting.
-Louisa May Alcott
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Gbemisola Akinremi wrote: 11 Feb 2021, 16:10 Interesting read, thanks for the review. Seems the book will be enjoyable, I love adventures, and it's a plus there's a mystery to it.
Absolutely! I hope you enjoy it. Thanks.
-Louisa May Alcott
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Passage
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by raluca_mihaila »

I love a good book about mysteries, and I consider them ageless :). Thank you for your recommendation, and great job with this lovely review!
Slater678
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slater678.html
Latest Review: Escape the Maze by T. Mertz

Post by Slater678 »

Reading the review on the book's premise reminds me how much I liked adventures when I was a kid. Thanks for the enjoyable review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Lighthouse in the Mist by Heather Graham, Loretta Scutchings, and Diana Van Geffen

Post by Ellylion »

Seems to be a great read for children, and mystery would definitely catch their attention. Thank you for this insightful review! :)
nikechi
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: The Future of Buildings, Transportation and Power
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikechi.html
Latest Review: The Soulmate Prophecy - Book One - The Birth by Yasmina Haque

Post by nikechi »

From reading the review, I can already think of a little cousin to recommend it to. The story seems like it'll be a hilarious one.
Thank you for such an awesome review :tiphat:
Let peace and calm reign the in chaos :reading-4:
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 03:44 I love a good book about mysteries, and I consider them ageless :). Thank you for your recommendation, and great job with this lovely review!
Yes, this is good for all ages. It's fun. Thanks.
-Louisa May Alcott
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Slater678 wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 05:12 Reading the review on the book's premise reminds me how much I liked adventures when I was a kid. Thanks for the enjoyable review.
Yes! I would have really gotten into this as a child. Thanks.
-Louisa May Alcott
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Ellylion wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 06:26 Seems to be a great read for children, and mystery would definitely catch their attention. Thank you for this insightful review! :)
Yes, I think this would keep children's attention well. It's a good mystery. Thanks.
-Louisa May Alcott
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

nikechi wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 12:08 From reading the review, I can already think of a little cousin to recommend it to. The story seems like it'll be a hilarious one.
Thank you for such an awesome review :tiphat:
Oh good! I hope your cousin enjoys it. It's a fun mystery.
-Louisa May Alcott

Return to “Children's Books”