Official Review: Lexi is Dyslexic by Farzana Prior

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Official Review: Lexi is Dyslexic by Farzana Prior

Post by Guda Lydia »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lexi is Dyslexic" by Farzana Prior.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lexi is Dyslexic by Farzana Prior is a remarkable children’s book that aims to teach about Dyslexia, a disorder characterized by difficulty in reading and writing. Since her birth, Lexi has always been a joy for her parents and an intelligent girl. She quickly recognized her unique ability in which the pictures in her mind would spin, dance, and sing. Images and illustrations from books would come alive and make all kinds of fun movements, amusing the little girl.

However, her world started to become challenging when it was time for her to learn how to read and write. Just like the pictures, the words would also spin and move around, making it hard for her to read and write them correctly. This made Lexi very frustrated, and she started doubting her intelligence. One day, a teacher with a similar gift came by, noticed Lexi, and from then on began assisting her. She taught her a distinctive technique to control her mind and ability, and things started to look up and happy again.

Apart from the story, Lexi is Dylsexic also comes with numerous learning opportunities ingrained within the abstract colors and highly detailed pictures. For instance, it is easy to see the hospital layout where Lexi was born and perceive its arrangement and how a doctor typically looks/dresses (having a stethoscope and a lab coat). The pictures also draw attention and tell the story without the words, ensuring maximum concentration.

There are several things to love about the book, including the fun and in-depth explanation of Dyslexia. The author further compares what Lexi sees versus what others see, hence ensuring further understanding of the reading disability. Additionally, the book highlights the challenges experienced by those with the learning disorder, like feelings of inadequacy and questioning one's intelligence. I honestly have nothing negative to state about the book; additionally, the author repeatedly refers to dyslexia as a gift and Lexi as a smart girl, further reinforcing the notion and generating a positive message.

This wonderfully short and fun children’s book is professionally edited, and there are no grammatical or spelling errors. The sentences are simple and easy for a developing mind to grasp their meaning. The pictures are vivid, and it is to see Lexi, her parents, teachers, and the various activities she engages in, such as writing and sports. This powerful read is suitable for children between the ages of five to ten. The story additionally shows how Lexi’s ability affects her relationship with her parents, classmates, and teachers. It is about embracing uniqueness and not being a slave to the conventional. I recommend it to parents and guardians looking for a compelling and highly educative read. It deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

Lexi is Dyslexic
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sararob06
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Sararob06 »

This sounds like such a cute book! I’m glad it’s written with a simple sentence structure. I hope it encourages kids with dyslexia to read more. Thanks for your thoughtful review!
Victoria Copsey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-copsey.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Victoria Copsey »

This seems like a really great book to help children with dyslexia and to help others learn what it is. Great review.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Coromandel Dreamin' by Ron Murray

Post by Praise GodWord »

Many children needs to read this book, especially because of the fact that it deals with reading and writing.
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

I recently read The Accidental Gardener by Farzana Prior and enjoyed it a great deal. This children's about Dyslexia seems like another one of her great writing accomplishments. Some of my family members struggle with Dyslexia, especially when they were in school. I can imagine that if they had access to positive and helpful information like this, it could have made it easier to deal with this experience. Thanks for the excellent review!

Return to “Children's Books”