Official Review: Charles McCheese and The Childhood News ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: Etched in Time by Rawiri Mckinney

Official Review: Charles McCheese and The Childhood News ...

Post by JKO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Charles McCheese and The Childhood News Network" by Emma Jean.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Charles McCheese And The Childhood News Network is a children’s book written by Emma Jean. In this book, we follow 11-year-old Charles McCheese and his crew (Thea, Nicholas, and Lilly) in their adventures in search of stories that will increase The Childhood News Network's ratings. The network has only two rules: they report events that happen only in Southwest Florida, and they keep the adults out “because grown-ups give the worst news.”

The story starts with Thea, Lilly, and Nicholas reporting from their assigned areas. After the day’s work, the crew is supposed to report back to the studio to plan their next story, and they do, only that Nicholas arrives with Naveen, a kid he met at his location. Naveen had always been a fan of the network. He wants to be a part of the network and implies that viewers have grown bored of the network, advising they cover stories from all over the world. Naveen also says that not all adults give the worst news. Will Charles McCheese be willing to break all the rules in blind faith with what Naveen suggests? Will Charles give Naveen a chance in the network? Do they get a record-breaking story?

While reading this book, it becomes apparent that there are lessons for children to take home. I learned that “we achieve great things by not limiting ourselves.” I think lessons are an important part of every children’s book, and I’m glad that Jean's publication fulfilled that criteria seamlessly. Also, I liked that this book asks thought-provoking questions, and I’m sure children would get their brains working. For example, why do we get served tacos every Tuesday in elementary school? Additionally, I think this book is a subtle way of introducing children to the intricacies of journalism, as well as some of the challenges journalists face in the course of their job. I applaud the writer for a job well done.

There were some aspects of this book I didn’t quite like. First, I feel the lack of illustrations makes this book less appreciable for children. I say this because I believe that pictures are an integral part of every children's book, as it not only makes kids refreshed while they read but also makes them get the correct picture of what is being discussed. Moreover, I think pictures were required in this novel, especially when the author talked about fighter jets. I don’t think children would know what they look like, and an illustration of these kinds of jets would be welcome.

The second thing I think this book should have included was the outcome their concluding adventures had on their ratings. As it is, that information is left to the reader to deduce on their own. I think it’s important to tell the story exhaustively when writing a children’s book, as it should be used as a tool for learning.

Nonetheless, this 115-page book is professionally edited, as I found no errors throughout its text. Because of the lesson the book seeks to teach, coupled with the efficiency of the editorial team, I rate this novel 3 out of 4 stars. The one-star deduction is a result of the reservations I earlier discussed. I recommend Charles McCheese And The Childhood News Network to children around the ages of 8 and 13. Young adults that enjoy adventures may also find the book interesting, as it could easily pass for an adventure fiction story.

Charles McCheese and The Childhood News Network
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Cecillia
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cecillia »

This book really gives a fun little spin on the real but unfortunate news, I feel like this book definitely gives the children (even adults) who may read this some thought provoking questions that could help them engage more in their daily lives even if it’s a little thought.

I would talk about the illustrations in the book but they seem pretty ordinary to me and not a lot of them I know a lot of children love to see the illustrations in books but I feel like it’s also better to focus mainly on the wording and storyline more than the pictures for the child.

I also would like to say that I’m glad they added other areas in the world in this book like Tokyo it’s good to teach children young about these types of things. 👍👍
KMGR70
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Author: Jeff Menapace
Favorite Book: Wildlife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmgr70.html
Latest Review: Bad Karma by Debi Chestnut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 23616

Post by KMGR70 »

The title caught my attention right away because I believe kids should know what's going on around them as they mature enough to comprehend it. I will check this one out as a possible addition to a younger Current Events class I'm working on right now. Since you mentioned a lack of pictures, I'm guessing it may be for kids old enough for a "chapter book". Thanks for your review!
Chamirish
Currently Reading: A Bloody Book
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Chamirish »

I like the focus on news and journalism. However, this probably wouldn’t be a book I’d pick out for my boys. They’re very visual learners, so pictures are pretty important when it comes to the books they choose. I did enjoy your review, though. Thank you.
PeterRabitt20
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: One If
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: Iris and the Blue Speckled Egg by Jennifer E. Walker

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Well, I'm glad someone is finally wondering about Taco Tuesdays. I'd love to hear kids their reason why tacos are always served on Tuesdays. Great review!
AtienoMagero
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atienomagero.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by AtienoMagero »

Wonderful review! Your review has been helpful and provided me great insight about this book. This seems like a great book for young adults.
Reviewer100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer100.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Reviewer100 »

It was amazing the idea of having a children's network where adults are not allowed.

Return to “Children's Books”