Official Review: A Home for Gnome by June Vanderhoff

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Katie Canedy
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading: Integrity Selling For The 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-canedy.html
Latest Review: My Living Will by John Trautwein

Official Review: A Home for Gnome by June Vanderhoff

Post by Katie Canedy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Home for Gnome" by June Vanderhoff.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A gnome named Lampy finds himself without a place to live when his home becomes too small and wet. He decides that he has had enough and leaves to search for his new home. On the way, he helps many animal friends when they get stuck in situations and cannot figure out what to do. Before Lampy knows it, it starts to rain. Will Lampy be able to find his new home before he gets too wet?

The reason why I decided to read A Home for Gnome by June Vanderhoff is because of the backstory of this book. Elijah, the author’s grandson, died when he was just shy of his fourth birthday. According to the description of him at the beginning of the book, Elijah was a sweet and giving child that loved gnomes. I loved that this cute children’s book was written with her grandson in mind, as it made the story feel special.

Two different writing styles are used in this book. The first one is rhyming poetry, which can be seen when reading about Lampy helping the animals. Four lines of poetic verse are included with each of the animal encounters. It was sweet because each of these sections is inspirational to the animal being helped. The other writing style is free verse. Although this writing style did seem out of place based on the rest of the book, this did not negatively affect my enjoyment of it.

I liked the illustrations that are used to tell Lampy’s story. Multiple colors are used, but they are not bright and showy. Instead, they are quaint and calming. The setting is a forest, which makes the usage of these colors perfect for the storyline.

I rate A Home for Gnome 4 out of 4 stars. I found no grammatical errors in the short twenty-one pages of this book. I did not find anything to dislike about it; it was a cute and touching tribute to an important person to the author. I recommend this story to children between the ages of four and seven.

A Home for Gnome
View: on Bookshelves
"There is no try, only do."- Yoda
"If you can dream it, you can do it."- Walt Disney
“I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant,it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Drianie
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Drianie »

This seems like a wholesome children`s book, and the heart-breaking backstory makes it all the more special. I hope I will get the chance to read it someday. Thanks for the great review!
sssns
Currently Reading: The Death of Violence
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sssns.html
Latest Review: Honesty is Key by Tayma Tameem

Post by sssns »

It is nice that the author channeled his emotions to produce something creative. I hope the author makes more children's books, so the memory of his grandson lives on. Thanks for the recommendation.
Reviewer100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer100.html
Latest Review: My Awakening: Living With A Chronic Health Condition by Judith Brown Ph.D, SWP

Post by Reviewer100 »

This sounds like some children's tale. But I enjoyed Limpy's tale.
PeterRabitt20
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Thank you for sharing the reason you chose this book. I feel that having stories like that adds a personal touch to books. Your review was splendid.
Pandora10
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading: Profiles in Kindness
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by Pandora10 »

Nice review and I enjoyed learning why you chose you read this book. It sounds like a sweet book for young children that enables them to learn how to help one another like the animals in the stories do. Two different writing styles in this book sounds interesting, free verse may appeal to some children more than rhyming verse and it gives them exposure to both.
AtienoMagero
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atienomagero.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by AtienoMagero »

Wonderful review! Your review has been helpful and provided me great insight about this book. This seems like a wonderfully written children's book
Katie Canedy

Post by Katie Canedy »

Drianie wrote: 04 Jan 2021, 18:29 This seems like a wholesome children`s book, and the heart-breaking backstory makes it all the more special. I hope I will get the chance to read it someday. Thanks for the great review!
It was quite the story! It was sweet but oh so simple. Let me know when you read it! :)
“I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant,it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Katie Canedy

Post by Katie Canedy »

sssns wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 00:10 It is nice that the author channeled his emotions to produce something creative. I hope the author makes more children's books, so the memory of his grandson lives on. Thanks for the recommendation.
That is what touched me the most. The author lost her grandson and used her emotions to write a touching book in his honor. And what I learned is that all proceeds from this book are going towards a project honoring him called "Eli's Park". If you read it, be sure to let us know what you think. :)
Katie Canedy

Post by Katie Canedy »

Reviewer100 wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 10:36 This sounds like some children's tale. But I enjoyed Limpy's tale.
It is a great children's fairytale! Lampy is a cute and likable character. :)
Katie Canedy

Post by Katie Canedy »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 09 Jan 2021, 01:10 Thank you for sharing the reason you chose this book. I feel that having stories like that adds a personal touch to books. Your review was splendid.
Thank you for the comments I really appreciate it! Yes, the personal touch is always needed when reading books like this. If books like these do not tug the heartstrings of readers, what is the point of it? I do hope you read it someday! :)
Katie Canedy

Post by Katie Canedy »

Pandora10 wrote: 09 Jan 2021, 11:11 Nice review and I enjoyed learning why you chose you read this book. It sounds like a sweet book for young children that enables them to learn how to help one another like the animals in the stories do. Two different writing styles in this book sounds interesting, free verse may appeal to some children more than rhyming verse and it gives them exposure to both.
The two writing styles were unique in a children's book. Exposing both styles to kids was an excellent move and ensured that monotony was nonexistent. Thanks for the lovely comments! :)
Katie Canedy

Post by Katie Canedy »

AtienoMagero wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 00:50 Wonderful review! Your review has been helpful and provided me great insight about this book. This seems like a wonderfully written children's book
It certainly is! I hope that you get the chance to read it one day. :)
Godspraise Precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godspraise-precious.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Godspraise Precious »

I love the premise of this book. It explores topics in which I am interested. It is also necessary to state that your review is detailed. I'll love to know how Lampy will pull through.

Return to “Children's Books”