Official Review: A Long Ago place by Donna Betten

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Official Review: A Long Ago place by Donna Betten

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Long Ago place" by Donna Betten.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Long-Ago Place is a children’s story written by Donna Betten and illustrated by Julie Westmaas. It is the story of a mother remembering how she played house as a young girl. She remembers playing house outdoors under a mulberry tree with her dolls and stuffed animals. She pretended to come home from her job as a secretary. She uses a fig twig broom to sweep the dirt floor. A rock under the tree is a stove, then a bathtub. The spot under the mulberry tree was a perfect home for the young girl and her pretend children.

The story is wonderfully illustrated and has a wistful, almost dreamlike quality. The memories are happy ones. The story speaks to how important play is for children. Acting out her dreams of being a mother may have helped the girl become a good mother when the time came. She is well-adjusted and happy, both as a child and an adult.

The illustrations are vividly colorful and yet not overwhelmingly bright. The dark font is a good choice as it stands out from the colorful background. I believe that the book was professionally edited, as I found no errors in the text.

Children will be able to relate to the joy of playing with special companions such as dolls or stuffed animals. Playing with others is positive, but solo play is good for children too. The story has a comforting quality, and adults may find themselves remembering their own long-ago place where they would play and daydream of their future lives. The book also has pages at the end where children can draw pictures of games they like to play, places they like to play, and of themselves.

During my childhood, people did not have computers and video games. While both bring much enjoyment and computers have practical applications as well, it is important for children to be encouraged to develop their imaginations by engaging in games such as playing house or playing with model cars and trucks or having fun with toys that allow them to build things, such as Legos or Lincoln Logs. This type of play encourages learning by doing, and I feel that it is something that modern children tend not to get enough exposure to.

There was nothing that I disliked about this book. I give it four out of four stars. The book is appropriate for even the youngest children. Parents can use the story to encourage their kids to engage in active and imaginative play.

A Long Ago place
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Dolls, stuffed animals, twig brooms, and outdoor adventures — now those are some nostalgic topics that can always provide a sense of sentimental comfort! 🌳 I just bought this book, so I look forward to reading it is this week! Thanks for your review.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

What a cute story! I think it will be a great read for children and their moms too! I like that the book has spaces for kids to draw. It makes it so much more interactive for them. Lovely review!
Tulika Padmane
Currently Reading: Emergence
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Tulika Padmane »

Reading the review reminds me of my memories as a child. The small tree house I used to build . The colorful clothes, the small torch light, shade of the green cool leaves. It takes me to my happy place. I will definitely read this book. I m sure it will a great experience. Great review.
Smn M
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Smn M »

The memories of childhood are always sweet and peaceful whether it be mine or yours it will always bring a smile on face of a narrator's and listener's. So just would like to start the book with a peaceful inhale.
Vetto
Currently Reading: Poems About Things That Mattered Most
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Vetto »

A book that reminds me of my long time ago, playing a very hardworking mum. A must read this is. Fantastic, detailed review.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

This book was featured as a BOTD a few days ago..
I enjoyed reading the colorful pages of the sample.
As a child at heart, I will definitely enjoy reminiscing my childhood memories while reading this book.
Thanks for your review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Mevin Nyamache
Favorite Author: Linnea Tanner
Currently Reading: Butterfly awakens
Bookshelf Size: 36
fav_author_id: 79732

Post by Mevin Nyamache »

Reading the book reminds me of memories of childhood. Dolls, twig brooms and outdoor adventures, i really look forward to reading this book. Thanks for your review
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

After reading your review, I was thinking about my childhood. I too have love for dolls and trees. As an 90's kid we don't use to have cell phones and this was the best part of my childhood, I was too close to nature.🦋 Colour pictures will be cherry on cake for me, as I love reading colourful pictures book. Thank you for amazing review.

Return to “Children's Books”