Review by glubglub200 -- Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
glubglub200
Currently Reading: The Giver
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glubglub200.html
Latest Review: Mr. Germ by Itzel Machado

Review by glubglub200 -- Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard

Post by glubglub200 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard" by Nicola J Rowley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard by Nicola J Rowley is a book that will transport you out of this world. Minty Taylor, a 12-year-old girl, is taken on a magical adventure when she finds a coin that belongs to Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard. With the help of the wizard, she has to take down the vicious Grimacant as he sets his evil plot into motion. You will be rooting for Minty throughout the whole book.

I liked that the author introduced all the characters at the beginning of the book with delightful illustrations. It was nice to be able to see the characters in real form instead of just guessing what they looked like. I also liked how optimistic it was and how it displayed the lightheartedness that children's books usually have. I especially liked the ending because the main character's problems were solved in an orderly way with no loose ends. As the original summary noted, you'll always be rooting for Minty to persevere when obstacles are being thrown at her.

There wasn't much to dislike about the story, but if I had to choose one thing, I would say that I didn't like the wizard's name. It was way too long of a name, and it was kind of hard to read at times because it didn't rhyme or make sense. Every time the name appeared, I was confused as to why the wizard didn't just go by a nickname. I know making up unique names is a part of creating a children's book that children would be interested in, but it would have been more enjoyable to read if the name rhymed. It's not a big problem, though, as it's just a name, and not every reader is going to like certain names in a book.

I'd suggest the book to older kids of the ages seven and up because there are many words and no pictures. Younger kids won't find any interest in it as there are no colors and the few pictures there are, are in black and white.

The rating I give the book is 4 out of 4 stars because while I didn't like how long the wizard's name was, the book was magical and fascinating. This book must have been professionally edited because I didn't notice any typos or errors. I hope that many kids love reading this book.

Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”