Official Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MeganDJ
Currently Reading: Mirrored Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megandj.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Post by MeganDJ »

What an encouraging and educational book! We could all learn more about these great animals and the sea in general. More children's books should be geared towards topics like these. Thank you so much for the insightful and honest review! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe - Marcus Aurelius
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

This book is indeed simple and beautiful, lovely too. Thank you for this amazing review.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

As per the review, this should be an interesting short read full of illustrations that depicts and educate us about the condition of the whales in today's world. Specifically, children also could be educated about this through this book. Thank you for the review!
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

This book sounds fascinating, adorable, and educational. I think even adults would enjoy it, even if they already know the scientific facts inside it; after all, who doesn’t enjoy a quick, simple read with some heart to it from time to time? The grieving over the dead daughter whale seems like a sad but effective way for humans to connect to these beautiful creatures on a more instinctual level, considering all creatures seem to grieve their dead. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

This is a realistic educational book that will be much appreciated by kids and oh! Since it's 15 minutes read, it is just perfect for children. Congratulations on the book of the day.
xsquare
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xsquare.html
Latest Review: Kitty and Kat - MiceQuest by Robert Beals III

Post by xsquare »

This seems like a great book for children that educates them on nature and the impacts of humans on the environment. Thanks for the fantastic review!
scaryeyes_25
Currently Reading: Glitter on the Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scaryeyes-25.html
Latest Review: Spoken on the Wind by Faye Westlake Newman

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

Thanks for the review. I am looking forward to knowing more about orcas and how they see life. I believe we can pick a thing or two from them.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

I was very intrigued by the cover when I read the sample pages. Those were just so very fun and interesting!! Then I came here and read your amazing and very detailed review, letting me know that I probably should finish the rest of the book pretty soon. Great job!!!
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

Indeed, a simple and beautiful book. I feel sorry for the specie of whale as our actions as humans are drawing them closer to extinction.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Sophia10
Currently Reading: Master the Law of Attraction
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia10.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Sophia10 »

Okay to me. We need to protect the nature and all the creatures as whole.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

Whale of Wonder, by Marie-Paule Mahoney - A conversation between Marna Tahlequah, an orca mother whale, and her son, Notch. This short beautifully illustrated read provides authentic information about orca whales. An important learning experience for children. Good job with the review.
denluc
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by denluc »

Whale of Wonder is the dramatized story of this true-life odyssey, told through a dialogue between the mother orca and her curious son, who keeps asking, "Why, Mama?" Young readers will discover how Tahlequah expresses her maternal love, her grief, and slowly overcomes her loss to celebrate life again. This unique story opens a window to the majestic orcas and their complex emotional lives.
The Afterword presents information about orcas in general and the specific culture of the Southern Residents. It unveils Tahlequah's life with the members of her pod in the Salish Sea, emphasizing the plight these orcas--close to extinction--are facing.
Ebubechinwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebubechinwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ebubechinwaogazie »

This is such a well simplified review. The story line is so engaging. This story of Whales is amazing.
mytkreadingreview
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mytkreadingreview.html
Latest Review: Scam Story by Gini Graham Scott
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mytkreadingreview »

Whale of Wonder by Marie Paule Mahoney revolves around conversation between Notch and his mother Mama Tahlequah, while they cross the ocean..The are both orca whales species. They have no harm to human even if, humans are most common reason why they are few.
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

You are right. They are in the family of toothed whales, but the Ocean Conservancy states that they are technically not a whale, and are in that category because of their teeth. They are in the suborder of toothed whales, but their specific family under the Odontoceti suborder is Delphinidae—oceanic dolphins. I dare say other scientific experts might say something different. I would say, they have connections with both groups.

Return to “Children's Books”