Official Review: Miss Centipede by CP Wilson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
justhereader
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justhereader.html
Latest Review: Geo by Topher Allen

Official Review: Miss Centipede by CP Wilson

Post by justhereader »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Miss Centipede" by CP Wilson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Because of so many people moving in, the small town of Spiderville is experiencing an increase in population. The local school of Insect Elementary is now in desperate need of new teachers to accommodate the growing number of enrollees. The principal hires a woman named Miss Centipede, who turns out to be an excellent teacher. She’s kind, considerate, and can handle up to one hundred students in one class! But what makes Miss Centipede an exceptional teacher is because of a secret. What could it be?

Miss Centipede by CP Wilson is a children’s book about tolerance. Colorful illustrations accompany the text, making this book perfect for children with short attention spans because the bright, full-page illustrations would easily capture their interest.

I noticed that the drawings feature adults and children of varying races and facial features. I appreciated this subtle detail because I could imagine young readers’ delight upon seeing characters who look like them or somebody they know. It’s also a simple demonstration of how diversity looks likes in an accepting and harmonious environment.

Because this is a short book, the author does not dwell on unnecessary descriptions. The language is simple and straightforward, so kids who are just learning to read can follow along with ease. Moreover, the author’s enthusiasm exudes in her writing style. The storytelling is my favorite aspect of the book because it is very conversational in a manner that directly addresses a young reader. For example, “While he was scouring the newspaper for the ad department telephone number, he saw a headline that read: ‘Spiderville Declared First Sanctuary City.’ (By the way, boys and girls, this is how you say it: SANK-CHU-AIRY. Sanctuary, it means a place that welcomes everyone.)”

There is no hostility upon the arrival of the new residents of Spiderville. The locals are accepting and are willing to take more people as much as they can. A story like this is essential in teaching children to be more accepting of other people and develop a mind free of any biases. Although the target audience of this book is children, this is also suitable for adults who are dealing with a child. From what I can glean, the story further teaches the importance of patience and willingness to cultivate all sorts of creative ways to earn a child’s adoration.

There was nothing I disliked about the story. I rate Miss Centipede 4 out of 4 stars for the entertaining story, colorful illustrations, enthusiastic writing, and the important message it contains. The overall editing quality is excellent, as there is only one minor error. This book is appropriate for children of all ages, but kids around 5 to 9 years old would appreciate it more. I would also advise teachers and parents to read this book for the relevant message it conveys.

Miss Centipede
View: on Bookshelves
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: Digging for God by Tom Hillman
fav_author_id: 2484
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 28%

Post by Saint Bruno »

I like the book's storyline, and I am sure that children will find it very intriguing. Thanks for the awesome review and recommendation.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

A unique story from the author. I like how diversity was captured in the book.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

I'd guess I would like to know Miss Centipede's secret. This one seems like an interesting read. Good job on the review 👌
Rashfordmbe10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashfordmbe10.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rashfordmbe10 »

I would love to know what Miss Centipede’s little secret is. Maybe I could use it myself.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson
2022 Reading Goal: 90
2022 Goal Completion: 8%

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I looks like a great book for children! I think it is very useful to introduce them in a friendly manner insects or animals that are usually regarded with fear or repulsion. Congratulations for this lovely review!
justhereader

Post by justhereader »

Eutoc wrote: 10 Dec 2020, 08:32 A unique story from the author. I like how diversity was captured in the book.
Saint Bruno wrote: 09 Dec 2020, 18:29 I like the book's storyline, and I am sure that children will find it very intriguing. Thanks for the awesome review and recommendation.
I appreciate your feedbacks :tiphat:
Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Brodie by McKendree Long
2022 Reading Goal: 40
2022 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Nqobile771 »

The book cover is quite lovely. I hope young readers will learn a thing or two about tolerance. Thanks for the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Sou Hi »

This book seems interesting with the names of places and characters. I guess the kids will be able to learn some more words about arthropods. And the author did a good job creating a cast that has multiple races. This way, any kid can relate to the story.
anua24060
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anua24060.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by anua24060 »

This sounds like a fun read that can also be educational for children. Thanks for the great review!
justhereader

Post by justhereader »

Rashfordmbe10 wrote: 10 Dec 2020, 14:43 I would love to know what Miss Centipede’s little secret is. Maybe I could use it myself.
RHD wrote: 10 Dec 2020, 11:46 I'd guess I would like to know Miss Centipede's secret. This one seems like an interesting read. Good job on the review 👌
There’s only one way to find out! Thanks a lot for the comments 🙏
REIGNING20
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reigning20.html
Latest Review: Seeking the Light of Justice by Dr. Barry Nadel
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by REIGNING20 »

I find the author's naming system really attractive as well as the use of illustrations seem to be very engaging. Thank you for your candid review.
To be or not to be.
justhereader

Post by justhereader »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 05:00 I looks like a great book for children! I think it is very useful to introduce them in a friendly manner insects or animals that are usually regarded with fear or repulsion. Congratulations for this lovely review!
Nqobile771 wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 06:36 The book cover is quite lovely. I hope young readers will learn a thing or two about tolerance. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for you nice comments :)
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Did anyone see the humor in a teacher being named Miss Cenipede. Imagine a whole room of youngsters. You would feel like a cenipede with a case of poison ivy!
GianKosi77
Favorite Author: M. Curtis McCoy
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giankosi77.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 197138

Post by GianKosi77 »

Wow wow wow! A funny and interesting story about Miss Centipede. The secret that she beholds is what I yearn to know.
And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness.

Return to “Children's Books”