Official Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nickolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 202
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: 480 Codorus Street by Sandra L. Kearse-Stockton

Official Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog

Post by Nickolas Farmakis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog" by Michelle Lander Feinberg.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg is a children’s book about a dog who feels like a human because he has been reared by a human family. The dog’s name is Cooper, but he does not know how to behave like a dog.

Cooper does not like to do tricks, or chase balls and sticks. He finds these actions beneath him, and not worthy of his status. He is offended if he is called a puppy or a dog, and he is not ashamed of this. However, he is kind, gentle, loyal, and brave, but he has not learned to behave like a dog because he grew up with humans, who found him in a dog shelter. Soon after adopting him, the family trained him to be kind by showing him love and affection.

There were several amazing aspects to this story. More specifically, I liked the illustrations in the text, which were colorful and realistic, adding interest and animation to the text. Further, this book was professionally edited because I met no errors in the story. What I liked most about this book was that the writer utilized rhyme effectively to engage young readers in the story.

What I disliked most in the text was the fact that the story was too short, as the author did not give enough details about Cooper and his family. The author could have used some more imagination and creativity to make the book more complete.

This book will be preferred by young readers who like animals, especially dogs. Parents and teachers may also use this book as a learning tool for young kids who are learning basic English. Both religious and non-religious readers can appreciate this story.

I rate this book with 3 out of 4 stars. I did not give the text a lower rating because it was a well-edited, engaging, and colorful book. I decided not to rate it with the maximum score, as it was too short and lacked some creativity.

Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble | on Smashwords
Unique Ego
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: The Tales of Little Lady M by Diego Di Mauro

Post by Unique Ego »

This sounds funny and weird at the same time. Maybe it's because I've never heard of a dog that behaved like a human simply because it was raised by one. If anything, dogs learn to be better dogs if raised by loving humans. But then again, it's a children's story so it's all good. I'd like to see what happens with the dog at the end of the story.
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

What a great premise for a book, especially a children's book. Cooper sounds like a lot of pets I have encountered. Sometimes fewer details are good for kids but in this case, it sounds like the author could have added more. Thanks for your review.
PeterRabitt20
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: One If
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: Iris and the Blue Speckled Egg by Jennifer E. Walker

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

The book title got me curious that I had to read your review. Now, I hope to read the book. The topic sounds hilarious, a dog who thinks he's human. :D
Judith Lloy
2021 Reading Goal: 120
Currently Reading: Living Well with Depression and Bipolar Disorder
Bookshelf Size: 186
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-lloy.html
Latest Review: Space Has No Frontier by John Bromley-Davenport

Post by Judith Lloy »

This definitely sounds like oned I would choose to read aloud with my kiddos. Cooper sounds hilarious. Kind of reminds me of my dog, pretty sure she thinks she's a human too!

Return to “Children's Books”