Official Review: Santa's Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mallory Whitaker
2017 Reading Goal: 35
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 74
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Santa's Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Official Review: Santa's Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Santa's Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wondered why we hang stockings on the mantle for Christmas? Well, Len Foley takes a stab at answering this question in his children’s book Santa’s Smelly Socks!

It’s Christmas Eve, and Santa and his team of reindeer are on their way to deliver gifts to the people of Sloppy Town. They’ve left him a surprise of their own, however. Santa’s absolutely disgusted by the piles of stinky, dirty laundry all around the town. How can Santa try to show them the error of their ways? Will they change their stinky ways?

Len Foley’s book is full of gross humor that would probably be most appealing to 3- to 8-year-old children. I was honestly expecting the book to be more about the gross humor than the plot, but I was pleasantly surprised. There’s a strong storyline with a nice twist that will teach children about both humility and the importance of keeping things - and ourselves - clean.

The illustrations in the book are a little eclectic, which makes them somewhat difficult to describe. There’s a backdrop that sets the scene, but then the details - like Santa, piles of dirty clothes, or the town sign - look like they’ve been pasted on top of it. Overall, it gives off a collage-type vibe. This style, along with the vibrant colors, really makes the focal points pop.

Sometimes, when text is placed on top of images, it can be difficult to read. Thankfully, that’s not the case here. Foley has fun with the text, varying the size, color, and font to emphasize certain words. There’s a rhyming scheme as well, which gives the story a nice cadence and rhythm.

I found a few errors, the majority of which involved absent dialogue tags. I didn’t find the errors distracting, however. So, I am happy to award this book 4 out of 4 stars. I thought it had a nice message, and the humor was just gross enough to be funny, but not so gross that it could be labeled as inappropriate. If you want to share a nontraditional Christmas story with your children, you should consider reading this one to them.

Santa's Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves

sonya01
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya01.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by sonya01 »

What a great review! You sound like you really enjoyed this book, even the grossly smelly details you so aptly describe! I can see this being a great little Christmas gift for children. Many thanks for sharing your thoughts.

lynnwwork
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lynnwwork »

With Christmas on the way, this will be perfect. Christmas is many people's favorite holiday, it is definitely mine. Snuggled up by the fire with my nieces, reading to them this seemingly unpredictable book, that sounds like the perfect evening. I am actually quite curious to know exactly what unfolds in this book. It can teach the children the importance of keeping their environs and themselves clean, that is a huge plus. Already giving it a four out of four just for those simple reasons. Looking forward to enjoying this with my nieces.

PeterRabitt20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Miller's Tale by Geoffrey Chaucer (Brian Lamont translator)

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

This sounds like a book I would enjoy reading with my kid. The more detailed the illustrations, the merrier. Thank you for your well-written review. :tiphat:

Sou Hi
2019 Reading Goal: 1
Currently Reading: Guarding Doors
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Governance for a New Era by Robert Stephen Higgins

Post by Sou Hi »

Oh my, when I read the title, I thought it would be about Santa's own socks; turned out it's the town's socks Mr. Santa has to endure. Poor Santa, I hope he was able to teach the sloppy people of Sloppy Town a lesson :D.

Return to “Children's Books”