Official Review: Castle of Dreams and the Blue Butterfly

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: Castle of Dreams and the Blue Butterfly

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Castle of Dreams and the Blue Butterfly" by David Michael Walsh.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Thomas McGill was out in the field with his father's flock of sheep when he noticed a flutter of butterflies flying toward a gigantic tree. A blue butterfly in the swarm captured Thomas's heart, so he followed the butterflies into a hole in the tree. Eventually, Thomas lost his footing and fell into a ledge inside the tree. Since Thomas couldn't climb back up, he had no choice but to find another route out of the tree.

Thomas couldn't believe his eyes when he stumbled upon some knights dressed in medieval clothing. The knights were shocked as well because he looked exactly like the king's son, Prince Samuel. They immediately take him to the king and find out that his coming is in their legend. His coming into their kingdom is supposed to warn them of the dragons that would destroy the kingdom. Therefore, Prince Samuel's best friend, Megan, and a sorceress, Lady Elizabeth, must find a way to keep their empire safe. Perhaps they could also help Thomas to find his way back to the future. Only time will tell.

Castle of Dreams and the Blue Butterfly by David Michael Walsh is a fascinating book for children who are beginning to read chapter books. It is the second book in the Castle of Dreams series. However, it isn't imperative to read the first one to enjoy this title. The 165-page book is written in the third-person point of view, which I like because it helps the reader to know the events happening simultaneously in the book.

I like how the story immediately comes to life from the first page of the book. The author didn't dwell on unnecessary descriptions. So I am sure this style will keep children engrossed as soon as they start reading. Considering how short the book is, I like that the author was able to develop and make the characters relatable and unique. As a result, I feared for their safety and wished I could inform them of the dangers they were oblivious to.

What I liked the most about the book is its fascinating storyline. I can imagine parents begging their kids to take a break from reading it. The story includes themes like magic, dragons, friendship, and adventure, which I know children love. I must commend the author for telling us such an intriguing story through this book.

Nevertheless, I love how appropriate the author's writing style is for children. The language is simple but lively. The narrations are easy to follow and understand. The author also adds color to the reading experience through suspense. More so, I enjoyed the graphic descriptions in the book. I trust this novel will take the imaginations of the children who read it on an intriguing ride.

There was nothing I disliked in this novel. It is professionally edited but has a few errors. Though I find the errors easy to forgive, I wish for them to be corrected as soon as possible since the book is for children. Notwithstanding, I am rating Castle of Dreams and the Blue Butterfly a perfect 4 out of 4 stars. I am strongly recommending it to children between the age of 8 and 12.

Castle of Dreams and the Blue Butterfly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nelson Lyric
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-lyric.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Lyric »

Wow, this is Quite an Adventurous masterpiece. Wonderful review I have to say. I must check out this book for my little ones.
Simplicity is the Voice of My Personality :no-spoil:
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

I personally love butterflies and was drawn to this cover and title. Your review only helped! I would check this out for my kids. I do hope the errors get corrected. Thanks for the review!
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

Nelson Lyric wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 15:30 Wow, this is Quite an Adventurous masterpiece. Wonderful review I have to say. I must check out this book for my little ones.
I really appreciate your time to read and comment on my review.
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

Vannaskivt wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 17:58 I personally love butterflies and was drawn to this cover and title. Your review only helped! I would check this out for my kids. I do hope the errors get corrected. Thanks for the review!
Please do. It's a cool book for them kids. Thanks for finding time to read my review.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Thank you for the excellent review. This book sounds like an adventure with lots of twists and turns. Does the start of the story make you think of Alice in Wonderland?

Return to “Children's Books”