Official Review: The Fairyland by Victoria Dikaiopoulou

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: Sticks and stones by Ambrose Martin

Official Review: The Fairyland by Victoria Dikaiopoulou

Post by Ria710 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Fairyland" by Victoria Dikaiopoulou.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Fairyland is a children’s book by Victoria Dikaiopoulou. The book consists of 12 fairy tales, designed to take children on an adventure. The purpose of each story is to teach a valuable lesson to children. One of the stories is about a girl who became the queen because she showed courage. She had a kind heart, and despite being rich and powerful, she never let it get to her head. Another story is about a man who always dreamt of becoming a magician. Then one day, he found himself in ‘Fairyland’. Here he got to be a hero and save many people.

I enjoyed reading this book very much. All the fairy tales were beautifully written. I felt like I was taken back to when I was a child, and I was reading classic fairy tales before bed. The stories are short and simple. This allows children to be able to read it easily and understand what is being said. The stories are similar to classic fairy tales because they all end happily ever after.

The purpose of each story is to teach children a valuable lesson. My favourite story was ‘The Power of an Apology’ which is about a young man who reconnects the witch sisters together. The two witches had fallen out, and as a result, they had put a curse on a garden. The message of this story is that it’s important to realise your mistakes and apologise.

Alongside the text, there were also illustrations. These illustrations were beautifully drawn and colourful. I liked the size of the illustrations because they were big enough for children to see what’s happening.

All the characters in the book were likeable and unique. I liked that some stories had female protagonists. This is empowering to young girls because they would view the female characters as being strong, confident, and a hero.

Just like your classical stories, these stories have princesses, handsome princes, evil witches, and mermaids. There’s something for every child to enjoy. At only 50 pages, this is a quick read.

Some other lessons this book teaches is the idea that everyone has a choice, and that it’s up to us to decide how we live our lives. It also teaches children the importance of helping others who are less fortunate.

Although I loved the book, there was one thing that I disliked. I didn’t like the way the illustrations were placed in the story. Instead of being placed underneath the text or to the side, it was placed straight in the middle. This affected the flow of reading because the sentences were being cut off by an illustration being in the way. If I found it difficult to read, I know children will too.

Overall, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I have to knock off one star because of the reason I stated above. I didn’t find any mistakes, so it is professionally edited. I think this is a great bedtime story for children. I highly recommend it to children the ages of 8-11.

The Fairyland
View: on Bookshelves

Luluwa79
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Luluwa79 »

Such a nice novel, i'm always interested in children's book and this is not an exception.
Thanks for the detailed and well-written review.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.

Return to “Children's Books”