Official Review: The Magnificent Zooanna by Ken Dalrymple

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
D3R3ZZ3D
Currently Reading: Star Wars
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-d3r3zz3d.html
Latest Review: Blessed in the Midst of the Storm by Monique Lynelle

Official Review: The Magnificent Zooanna by Ken Dalrymple

Post by D3R3ZZ3D »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Magnificent Zooanna" by Ken Dalrymple.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Magnificent Zooanna by Ken Dalrymple is a children's novel written in the third person omniscient perspective. The story is written in an informal format and designed for ages six and up. The narration style lends itself well to a parent reading it to their child, which I would suggest anyway, due to some of the choices and lifestyles the characters live out. The plot is easy to follow, and the story isn't too scary, other than some minor violence, but containing no gruesome details. There's no sexual content or cussing to be worried about here either.

The Magnificent Zooanna follows the story of Zooanna, the youngest of three sisters who happen to be witches. She befriends two mortals named Catharin and Clair, and the three of them soon find themselves involved in much bigger adventures than merely going outside to play together. As their story unfolds, they learn the value of keeping your word to others and being a friend even when it's not easy. They also discover that sometimes helping those you love requires a lot of courage and sacrifice.

I would rate this book one out of four stars. The reason I gave it a one instead of a two is that there were so many blatant editing errors throughout the book. Some of the editing errors consisted of the names of characters being spelled differently within the same paragraph, a lot of misspelled words throughout the book, as well as repeated pronoun misapplications for a particular character. I am not usually a stickler when it comes to editing issues, but this book does not seem like the author even took the time to read back through it after writing it down. I would've preferred to have given the book a two rating for the effort in writing the story. However, I can't understand why the author wouldn't have likewise taken the time to at least spellcheck for errors and check for proper pronoun usage. How will not using correct grammar in a book written for children be doing them any favors in the long run?

What I liked most about this book was its humor as well as the adventurous aspect of the story. It was an interesting story in and of itself, despite my hang-ups with it. What I liked least about the book, aside from the poor editing, was how the author decided to attempt to mix two different belief systems within it. Namely, trying to combine the Christian practices, values, and morals that the author held with those characters who practice witchcraft in the story. However, I question whether the author realizes the confusion and conflict this might cause for their readers, seeing as he didn't take the time to edit the book in the first place.

Unfortunately, I cannot say that I would recommend this book to others due to the reasons I have already listed above. However, I would probably not recommend it to Christians, witches, or those who like books that are ready to be published. If you can look past all of that, however, I guess dive in!

The Magnificent Zooanna
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Numbers 6:24-26
Zechariah 4:6
sssns
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sssns.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by sssns »

Unfortunately, poor editing affected the presentation of themes in this book. I hope the author takes notice of the recommendations. Thank you for the impartial review.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
D3R3ZZ3D
Currently Reading: Star Wars
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-d3r3zz3d.html
Latest Review: Blessed in the Midst of the Storm by Monique Lynelle

Post by D3R3ZZ3D »

You're welcome, and I hope so as well.
Numbers 6:24-26
Zechariah 4:6

Return to “Children's Books”