Official Review: Weathering the Storm Together by Sid Korpi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shannonkate8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: Ivan and the Silver Seeds by Ivy Lin and Walter Sattazahn

Official Review: Weathering the Storm Together by Sid Korpi

Post by shannonkate8 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Weathering the Storm Together" by Sid Korpi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Weathering the Storm Together was written and illustrated by Sid Korpi over a decade after her first story, Good Grief: Finding Peace After Pet Loss. COVID-19 provided time and inspiration for this new tale. Weathering the Storm Together follows multiple narratives of different animals stuck in a sticky situation.

First, readers are introduced to woodland animals, like Olivia Owl. Olivia and her friend, Hermie Hedgehog, prepare for an oncoming storm. With Olivia's vantage point in the trees, she is able to help Hermie find a good place to wait out the storm.

On a nearby farm, the animals are also preparing for rain. Some of the older animals, like Carly Cow, push the others to quickly get inside the barn. However, no one can find Gilbert Goat! Can the farm and woodland animals work together to get him home?

This book is great for kids. In fact, I would recommend it to any elementary teacher right now. The book does a wonderful job of identifying the problem and teaching readers how to work together to solve it. The message the author wanted to convey was clearly shown and make this perfect to use in a classroom.

Personally, I quite liked the book in general. I really liked the message. Numerous species came together to help one another in different ways. It showed the good that can occur in the world and all the things that can happen just by working with one another, showing kindness, and using good communication.

On the other hand, I did not like the inundation of adjectives and adverbs. I know the author was trying to help readers picture the scene, however, it was overdone. Some illustrations should have cleared this up for readers. To me, it just cluttered the book.

Overall, I have to give this book 3 out of 4 stars. This is due to the above considerations and grammar errors found throughout. As this book was a children's book, I was not quite happy to see errors and hope the author will be able to rectify this for future editions.

Weathering the Storm Together
View: on Bookshelves
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

This book sounds interesting. I do think this book sounds like it would be helpful to children and families right now. I hope the author considers revising it to remove the errors. Thank you for your review.
nyrindra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by nyrindra »

It is in childhood that human beings should be taught to help one another. In the first grade, we are well trained to help one another.

Return to “Children's Books”