Official Review: Whatever You Like by Cassie Ellis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bb587
2019 Reading Goal: 60
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: The Giver (The Giver, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: Whatever You Like by Cassie Ellis

Official Review: Whatever You Like by Cassie Ellis

Post by bb587 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Whatever You Like" by Cassie Ellis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Whatever You Like by Cassie Ellis is an illustrated children’s book. The text is simple and can easily be understood by young children.

This book talks about different things kids might enjoy. It starts with, “Some kids like light, some kids like dark. Some kids like the beach, some kids like the park.” It continues in much of the same way giving examples of things kids might like followed by an opposing thing that other kids might like instead. There is no real storyline, no specific characters, and no designated setting.

Since I have a young child and two young nieces, I read a lot of children’s books. The younger ones tend to enjoy anything, but especially books that rhyme. As they get older, they seem to enjoy books with storylines. This book falls into the former category. It is simple but shares a message of inclusivity. It also rhymes which makes it more appealing. For books that rhyme, I like to read them aloud to make sure the flow stays consistent and easy. This one mostly worked in that regard, so I won’t complain about any forced rhymes or mismatched syllable counts. I like that it teaches a lesson and that there is a point to the book.

The illustrations work well with this book. The colors are vibrant and there is just enough detail to keep them interesting. None of them felt cluttered or overstimulating. There are light shadows giving everything a professional depth. There are four different children displayed in the illustrations. I like that they are each unique and children can easily relate to them.

I really appreciate that I did not find any errors in this book. There wasn’t anything that I didn’t like about it. Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this to parents looking for books to read to toddlers. It can help to show children that not everyone is the same and not everyone likes the same things.

Whatever You Like
View: on Bookshelves

Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: The Cadence of Excellence by Matthew McDarby

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

No real storyline; no real character. I don't know if my little one will enjoy a piece devoid of these. However, I'm glad it is error-free.

HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Superbugs by Tayma Tameem

Post by HannahsReads »

This sounds like a lovely children's book that I would also enjoy sharing with my nieces and nephews! I like that it is rhyming and promotes a message of inclusivity. Thanks for your review!

MAHLATSE19
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MAHLATSE19 »

The story is so interesting🌹, I think every parents should read this to their babe and other kids. And it too easy to read with simple language

Larry Allison
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Larry Allison »

This book has a lot of color attracting the attention of my Granddaughter which is cool because she asks questions about the children in the book, what are they doing. I love the way the author made the words flow in this book giving the feeling of fun. Which makes my Granddaughter wanting us to read it to her again and again.
Last edited by Larry Allison on 14 Oct 2020, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.

Naomey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Naomey »

For sure children like books that rhyme and I would not hesitate to read it for my young niece .The message of inclusivity is also a plus to it !

VVaishali
Favorite Book: Big Magic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vvaishali.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by VVaishali »

This one seems to be a light read with a simple message for children. I will like to read this one to my niece. Thanks for sharing. :)

_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by _claudi_ »

The lack of storyline and character won't deter me from giving it a try. It will be a good read. Good review!

Return to “Children's Books”