Official Review: Your You by Kristin Obermire

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Official Review: Your You by Kristin Obermire

Post by Laura Lee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Your You" by Kristin Obermire.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you are a parent, grandparent, teacher, or someone who works with young children, I heartily recommend Your You by Kristin Obermire. This utterly charming, colorful, picture book is truly delightful in every way. This is not surprising. Obermire is both a mother and a former teacher. She knows what appeals to young children. Better still, she knows how to engage the interest of a young child, enabling the child to learn while having fun.

Your You is not your typical storybook. There isn’t really a plotline in the traditional sense. Rather, it is more like a verbal “Where’s Waldo?” And it is this quality that makes Your You such a fantastic book for young children. The book is filled with colorful illustrations that are striking in their attention to detail. Each of these illustrations is preceded by text that describes the picture using rich vocabulary. This allows the reader to ask a young child, “Where’s the girl in the striped pants? Can you point to the fountain? Show me all the butterflies!” Young children adore this sort of interaction, and it is what helps them develop a love of reading.

Furthermore, the text is in rhyming verse with a musical cadence. There was literally nothing I disliked about this book. Even the pages that have only text are colorful and appealing to the eye. The book is also exceptionally well-edited. I did not find a single typo or grammatical error in it, which brings me to a rather amusing point. When I first saw the title of the book, it looked wrong to me. Shouldn’t “Your You” more properly be “You’re You”? Well, yes . . . if you are wanting to say, “You are you.” But that is not what Obermire’s book is saying. And this is the loveliest element in a book filled with appealing features.

The early part of the book, inviting a child to find various details in the accompanying illustrations, is simply laying the groundwork for the climax of the book, which is that every single person on earth has unique qualities that make him or her special. And not only is everyone physically unique, but everyone has a special, individual personality, too. This is the heart of Obermire’s message. “All over the world and all over town are pretty skin shades of black, white, and brown. The prettiest people on the inside, you’ll find, are those who are thoughtful, friendly, and kind” (location 25).

In presenting this message, Your You is not only inclusive of race, but sex, age, and even those with disabilities. It’s an uplifting message that builds a child’s self-esteem while encouraging respect for others. It’s a message that would make Fred Rogers proud: “If you ever feel less than or stumble or fall, remember your you is the prettiest of all” (location 29).

Your You deserves every single star of four out of four stars. I sincerely hope Obermire continues to write more quality children’s books. The world and today’s children need them.

Your You
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

I'm glad that the book has beautiful colors and pictures to illustrate more. Because I know the impact these features make in chdren. Great review.
Jansi R
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jansi R »

This is beautiful book to boost up your self confidence in children. Whenever you confidence is down, this book will help to increase your self confidence. This book will help to respect others also. Because this book will help to understand everyone is having talent respect yourself and respect others also..
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

Looks this is a great children book to read. I will give it a try. Thank you for your recommendation!

Return to “Children's Books”