Official Review: Ack! The Nantucket Duckling

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Ack! The Nantucket Duckling

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ack! The Nantucket Duckling" by A.K. Spurway.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ack! The Nantucket Duckling by A.K. Spurway is a heartwarming story that teaches children about embracing individual differences. Ack lives on the beautiful island of Nantucket, but he is worried about marching in the annual Duckling Parade. The other ducks make fun of Ack, and he is self-conscious about his unusual beak and the odd sound it makes. Ack could have never imagined that his distinctive beak would help him be brave.

The 25-page picture book teaches children themes of individuality, unconditional love, empathy, self-consciousness, bravery, and self-acceptance. As they read about Ack's transformation, young readers will learn about accepting themselves and helping others.

The illustrations by Jacqueline East are exceptional; her attention to detail is impeccable, and the color palette she uses is lovely. Readers of all ages will appreciate the sweet illustration of Ack's mother holding and comforting him as he cries.

Spurway's diagnosis of a condition that affects her appearance and facial expressions lends authenticity and sensitivity to the story. Likewise, it's apparent why this engaging children's book is a recipient of the Mom's Choice Award. Many children learn at an early age to dislike anything about their appearance they perceive to be different from their peers and will relate to Ack. His caring mother reassures him that his trumpet-shaped beak gives him a "distinctive quack," but the little duckling tries everything he can think of to disguise his long beak. What I like most about the story is that Ack discovers that his difference is actually a strength.

The book is flawlessly edited, and I am unable to suggest any improvements or name anything I dislike about it. I am pleased to rate Ack! The Nantucket Duckling 4 out of 4 stars. The delightful story will appeal to children through the age of 10. I also recommend it to parents, teachers, and grandparents.

Ack! The Nantucket Duckling
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

We need to learn to love and accept ourselves first before seeking love and acceptance outside. It sounds like the book teaches children the beauty of being different and special! Thanks for the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Nqobile771 wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 04:05 We need to learn to love and accept ourselves first before seeking love and acceptance outside. It sounds like the book teaches children the beauty of being different and special! Thanks for the review.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Children are never too young to learn how to treat other people. This sounds like an awesome book. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

Children need to learn from a young age how to be courageous, have high self-esteem because it will help them as they grow older.
Thanks for the review.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.
Clayton w
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Clayton w »

Children need to learn from a young age how to be courageous, have high self-worth because it will help them as they grow older.
Serenity2010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenity2010.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Serenity2010 »

I picked your review because I did not know children's books were used on online book club. I really enjoyed reading it. When I had my oldest daughter, one of the first things a stranger said to me was "Ha! You got white baby!" So the realism of how being different is very true especially for children. She has been told nothing's wrong with her and she is extremely beautiful everyday since. Thanks for the great review!
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

This is an important attitude to be inculcated in every child—own your difference! I appreciate the voice of this message.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Bertha Jackson wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 10:48 Children are never too young to learn how to treat other people. This sounds like an awesome book. Thank you for your review.
Thanks, Bertha. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Luluwa79 wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 16:48 Children need to learn from a young age how to be courageous, have high self-esteem because it will help them as they grow older.
Thanks for the review.
You're welcome. Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Serenity2010 wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 20:39 I picked your review because I did not know children's books were used on online book club. I really enjoyed reading it. When I had my oldest daughter, one of the first things a stranger said to me was "Ha! You got white baby!" So the realism of how being different is very true especially for children. She has been told nothing's wrong with her and she is extremely beautiful everyday since. Thanks for the great review!
Thanks for sharing, Serenity. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Cynthia Olyy wrote: 13 Oct 2020, 07:58 This is an important attitude to be inculcated in every child—own your difference! I appreciate the voice of this message.
I agree, Cynthia. Thank you.
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

I immediately was drawn to the bright, colorful cover. Thank you for the review, I might pick this one up for my children's therapy practice, I'm always looking for new, interesting books to help children assimilate their differences.
Karen Boland
Currently Reading: 480 Codorus Street Book II
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karen-boland.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Karen Boland »

Hi, I'm new to OnlineBooClub and picked this book based on the review and the shortness of length to find my way around the site in terms of how it works. I was pleasantly surprised by the significance of the content in light of the many people who struggle to "fit in" due to their mainstream differences, as well as by the animated illustrations which capture the written content beautifully. The prose and illustrations bring life and movement to the story as one reads it. I agree with the above posts which suggest it as a children's therapy practice book, as well as to parents who wish to convey to their children the value of being "different".

Return to “Children's Books”