Official Review: Animals of the South Pole by Mark Morris

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christieee
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christieee.html
Latest Review: The Touring Pro by Frederick L Malphurs

Official Review: Animals of the South Pole by Mark Morris

Post by Christieee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Animals of the South Pole" by Mark Morris.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We follow Hugo and his two animal friends, Iggy Iguana and Boobie Bird, on their exploration of the South Pole and the animals residing in it. The Hugonauts: Animals of the South Pole is an illustrated book that offers a fun, simple way to teach children about fascinating creatures of the South Pole. From creatures as big as the blue whale to ones as tiny as Antarctic midges, the kids are sure to be left ooh-ing and aah-ing.

The creators of this piece, Mark Morris and Simon Swingler, started out by using rhymes to introduce Hugo’s mission and the animals. The book also featured friendly, bright illustrations that are sure to capture any child’s attention. In the end, however, the book took a more serious turn, with the authors introducing Fun Facts that explained the rhymes in a bit more detail. I found this appropriate since an adult can take more time to carefully explain what the child already saw in pictures.

The rhymes could easily be read by any child aged 5-10. But to get the full benefit of both fun and real education, it will be best for an adult to read it out to a child. The book even features appropriate exclamations in the Fun Facts part that an adult can say to spice up their reading. For instance, where the South Pole was described as a sort of frozen desert, a fun exclamation differentiating “dessert” from “desert” was included. This takes care of most of the creative work for an adult reading the book to a child; you won’t have a problem knowing when to say what.

There is nothing to dislike about this illustrated book, and I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. The pictures are colorful and captivating, and the words are short rhymes that still impart knowledge in a way that a child will not feel overloaded. I found it to be a perfect children’s book. I did not find any errors, and it was obvious that a great deal of care had gone into bringing this book to life.

There are other books in The Hugonauts series; they describe animals in other parts of the world, including Australia, Africa, the North Pole, and others. I recommend that all parents, guardians, aunties, and uncles of children aged 5-10 pick up all the books in this series for their wards. You might find that even you will have something to learn from it too.

Animals of the South Pole
View: on Bookshelves

Dayodiola
2019 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

Children need to be made aware of the world they live in and this book will do just that

Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Journey Out of Self and Into Christ by Richard Rardin

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Great review, I am sure children will love the book and have something to learn from it.

Tablito
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Tablito »

Children will learn from the book without having a lot loaded on them.

AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

This review had me smiling, especially the oo-ing and aa-hing part 😄. I like the name and idea of this book. It would be a delight to read it as well as other books in the series.
Live and let live, baby!

Luluwa79
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Luluwa79 »

Your review was so detailed and I would love to read this book to my young ones.

Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: This is Not a Lie by S.C. Farrow

Post by Dominik_G »

I would've greatly enjoyed Animals of the South Pole when I was a child. It seems like a very entertaining and clever little book. Thank you for your lovely review!

Return to “Children's Books”