Official Review: The Amazing Adventures of Jimmy Crikey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: How to Write A Brilliant Nonfiction Book by Suzan St Maur

Official Review: The Amazing Adventures of Jimmy Crikey

Post by Ria710 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Amazing Adventures of Jimmy Crikey" by Wallace E Briggs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Amazing Adventures of Jimmy Crikey: Worlds Beneath and Above the Stars is a children’s book by Wallace E Briggs. Jimmy always got bullied at school for looking different. He had ‘bright red hair’, a ‘small snub nose’, ‘pointed ears’, and ‘enormous feet’. One day, he decides to run away because he couldn’t take the bullying anymore. Without realising, the ground in front of him opens, and he falls in. He discovers the town of Roombelow. Everyone in this town accepts Jimmy for the way he is. This book takes us on a journey through the crazy adventures Jimmy experiences.

What I liked about the book was that the author didn’t use any complicated language. This is great because it means that children will be able to read it easily. I also liked the author’s descriptive writing. I was able to picture the scenes vividly. I love that the story takes you on an adventure with the characters. I truly felt like I was a part of their lives.

There are black and white illustrations that go along with the story. The illustrations are beautiful and detailed. Having the illustrations is nice because it helps bring the story to life. The story is fast-paced, so I didn’t get bored reading. The story is unique and creative. There are talking animals, mermaids, witches, and many more. There’s something for every child to enjoy.

Furthermore, I really like that the author wrote the story in the third person perspective because it allowed me to understand the backstory of all the characters. The author developed the characters really well. Each character is unique and lovable. I enjoyed seeing the friendship between Jimmy and Gemma grow.

Jimmy is portrayed as a strong, independent boy. I know many children will feel inspired by him. The book teaches many important lessons. For example, it teaches that it’s okay to be different from others, and it’s important to accept who you are. Jimmy grew to love his differences and accept them.

There were only a couple of things that I disliked about the book. First of all, it would have been nice to have more illustrations. This would have made it more exciting to read. Secondly, coloured illustrations would be more appealing to children.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was an enjoyable read. I only found one mistake, so it is professionally edited. It is suitable for children aged 9-13 to read. I highly recommend it to children who enjoy reading magical, adventurous books.

The Amazing Adventures of Jimmy Crikey
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

sssns
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sssns.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by sssns »

I wonder if Jimmy went back home after learning to accept his uniqueness or decided to stay instead at Roombelow. Thanks for the insightful review.

Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nqobile771 »

It sounds like the book stimulates the little one's imagination and creativity. I like it already. Thanks for the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Tablito
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Tablito »

With the bullying Jimmy was facing in school because of his looks, he must have had it rough. This will be a nice read for kids; it comes with hope, Jimmy finds himself in Roombelow where everyone accepts him as he is.

Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Joan642 »

I love this book for children. There is a lot of discrimination going on in the world lately, but if children can understand at there young age that it's ok to be different then I think it would be a start to wonderful changes. Thanks for the review.

Luluwa79
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Luluwa79 »

I wonder what happened to Jimmy's parents. Being different from others has its uniqueness that makes us special.
Thanks for the nice review.

HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: The Trilogy of Bipolar Management Part 1 by Kris Rock

Post by HannahsReads »

This sounds like a charming middle-grade fantasy novel. Thank you for explaining the book's positive message.

Return to “Children's Books”