Official Review: A Shetland Sheepdog's Night Before Chris...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jsovermyer
Currently Reading: & Life Goes On...
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Finding hope in the midst of grief by Judy St.pierre

Official Review: A Shetland Sheepdog's Night Before Chris...

Post by Jsovermyer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Shetland Sheepdog's Night Before Christmas" by N.C. Gould.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Shetland Sheepdog’s Night Before Christmas by N.C. Gould is an endearing twist on a holiday classic. In this sweet tale, Belle, the sheltie pup, has trouble falling asleep and finally curls up by the fireplace. She meets Santa Claus when he comes down the chimney. Her owners sleep through the night while the puppy talks with Santa. My favorite part was the gentle and loving way Santa treated Belle. I also liked the special gift Santa brought for her.

This children’s holiday story follows the same meter and rhyming scheme as the famous Christmas poem ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas by Clement Clarke Moore. The rhyming couplets make it fun to read. This story has Santa and a puppy, a kid’s two favorite things, especially at Christmas time. I think children will love it.

This 24-page tale includes eight beautifully colored full-page pictures. The pictures are cute, fun, and delightful. The vocabulary used would be too advanced for a beginning reader to comprehend. I would recommend it for 7 to 10-year-olds. Younger children would also enjoy having it read to them.

The author dedicated the book to Belle, her service animal. Listed in the front are the ten stories in the “Holidays with Shelties Series.” They cover just about every holiday, including Groundhog Day.

Although I know the author was trying to tie this story to the original poem, some of the lines were direct quotes from it. I disliked this and would have preferred the lines to show the dog’s perspective like was done in the rest of the story. I also detected a printing problem with a duplicate paragraph.

It is a wonderfully clever story, and it is sure to be a big hit at Christmas time. I wanted to give it a perfect score, but because of the printing problem and the storylines copied from the original Christmas poem, I could not. I am awarding A Shetland Sheepdog’s Night Before Christmas by N.C. Gould three out of four stars. This story could become a Christmas family classic.

A Shetland Sheepdog's Night Before Christmas
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

sssns
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sssns.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by sssns »

Santa and a puppy together in a story is a sure hit with kids. It is so nice that the author came up with a holiday series too. I hope the printing problem gets fixed in time for Christmas. Great review. Thanks!

Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Joan642 »

Pets, Santa Claus, Christmas, are some of the things children enjoy reading about. It is also a short story, so I would say this is a wonderful book for children. Thanks for the review.

Mr_Dark
Currently Reading: Preppers Medical Handbook
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Mr_Dark »

Wow! Puppy talking with the Santa. It would be fun to read. Nice review, I enjoyed reading it.

kaivalya_k
Currently Reading: The Hand Bringer
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaivalya-k.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by kaivalya_k »

Seems like a cheerful story to read. I agree with your disappointment over using direct quotes from the poem. I would you have liked it otherwise as well.

Luluwa79
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Luluwa79 »

I would love to read this story to me younger ones during christmas.
Thanks for the review.

Bertha Jackson
Currently Reading: Hearts of Black
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: It's My Turn by Richard Marcott

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Santa Claus and a puppy would make a great team. Congratulations on your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org

Shitaltush
Currently Reading: The Memoir Man
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Shitaltush »

Thank you for review. The basic information about book giving by this review.

Noshinumar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Noshinumar »

'beautifully colored full-page pictures. The pictures are cute, fun, and delightful.' just what I'm looking for my kid, and also as Christmas is approaching it's good time to read a book to my kid about Christmas, santa ana puppy. Thanks for the lovely review.

_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by _claudi_ »

This is a fun book. The idea of Santa talking to the puppy makes it interesting. Good review.

Return to “Children's Books”