Official Review: Feisty crazy old cat by Jerry J Colbert

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 457
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: How Will Santa Know? by Dawn Jung
fav_author_id: 165843

Official Review: Feisty crazy old cat by Jerry J Colbert

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Feisty crazy old cat" by Jerry J Colbert.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Feisty Crazy Old Cat is a children’s book by Jerry J. Colbert. It is the story of a boxer who finds a stray cat while working out at the gym. He takes the cat home. Initially, the cat seems very fond of the boxer, following him as he goes for a run. But then one night as the boxer is falling asleep, the cat challenges him to a boxing match, which the cat wins.
The boxer wakes up the next day with a black eye. Each night, the cat causes trouble for the boxer, so the boxer decides to rig up a trap door at the bottom of the cat’s litter box. However, he later recants this decision.

The book is suitable for children of all ages. The pictures are fun and colorful. The text is easy to read. There is some cartoon violence but nothing that should be upsetting in any way. Younger children will want someone to read the story to them, but school-aged kids who have started reading will likely be able to read it for themselves.

The story appeared to be professionally edited. There were no typos or misspelled words. The author wanted to impart the idea that it is worthwhile to give animals a chance, even those that might not warm up to us right away. Some animals have had difficult lives, and it might take them a while to be able to start trusting people.

I give Feisty Crazy Old Cat three out of four stars. I enjoyed the concept of the book and believe that children will find it entertaining. I liked the illustrations and the concept of the cat besting the human in a boxing match was amusing. However, I felt like the story was lacking something.

I feel like the story could have provided a few more details to make it seem complete. Was the boxer dreaming about the cat fighting with him? Was he tired because the cat was having trouble adjusting to living with a person when it had been feral for so long? Also, how would the trap door in the bottom of the cat box work?

Overall, the book has a good message about being patient with less than perfect older animals and giving them a chance to adjust. I think that the author could solidify this message by adding just a bit more to the book to give it a feeling of completion.

Feisty crazy old cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

sssns
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sssns.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by sssns »

Was he tired because the cat was having trouble adjusting to living with a person when it had been feral for so long?
This is an interesting observation. Other than having pets, is it possible that the story is a metaphor for human relationships? They both need to adjust to each other's quirks for them to co-exist in harmony. Insightful review. Thanks!

Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Eutoc »

Even tho I didn't really get the clear picture of the story, I think children will enjoy the book, if not for anything but for the fights between the boxer and the cat. They would find it hilarious.

Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nqobile771 »

I'm sitting here wondering how a cat wins a fight against a human being? I guess the book will be a nice read for the little ones. Thanks for the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: Lord of the Skies by Alasdair Douglas-Hamilton

Post by TCG »

How can you possibly take a strange cat home? Sound ridiculous. Nice work.

Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Ada Ling »

Interesting topic. Your suggestion on improving the book is also good. Thank you for the introduction!

Katie Canedy
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 88
Currently Reading: Think and grow rich
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-canedy.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Katie Canedy »

It is true; giving time and patience to older and more independent animals is so important. Never give up on an animal so early when they are truly sweethearts. Thanks for the review! :tiphat:
"There is no try, only do."- Yoda
"If you can dream it, you can do it."- Walt Disney
“I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant,it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo

kaivalya_k
Currently Reading: The Hand Bringer
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaivalya-k.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by kaivalya_k »

I like to read books about animals. I feel like I will enjoy reading this one.

Bertha Jackson
Currently Reading: Hearts of Black
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: It's My Turn by Richard Marcott

Post by Bertha Jackson »

This is a book I would enjoy reading because it involves animals. You are never to old to read a child's book. They can be very relaxing. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org

Return to “Children's Books”