Official Review: How To Pack An Alpaca Pack by Cowboy Worm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: How To Pack An Alpaca Pack by Cowboy Worm

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How To Pack An Alpaca Pack" by Cowboy Worm.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In How to Pack an Alpaca Pack, Cowboy Worm teaches young readers about the lovable relative of the llama. Children will learn about alpacas' countries of origin, physical features, wool, and of course, how to "pack" them.

The children's book is 36 pages and features a rhythmical text that makes it ideal for reading aloud. Although I haven't spent any time around alpacas, I learned something new about the wooly animals; they make a humming noise, a fact sure to delight little ones. Worm also educates young readers about the many colors of alpacas, their abundantly wooly coats, and feet with two toes that prevent them from falling. I can picture younger children pointing to the different shades of alpacas while their parent reads the story to them.

The colorful illustrations include an assortment of curated photographs. I especially like those that seem to capture the facial expressions of the adorable alpacas; these include many of the book's images, as well as those featured on the front and back covers. I also appreciate that the photography credits are properly cited at the end of the book.

On the other hand, the other illustrations pale in comparison to the high-resolution photography curated from professional sources. A few of the images appear pixelated while others look washed out, and the book suffers as a result. Also, "pack an alpaca" is a fun phrase to read, but since the animal is most known for its soft wool, I would have liked to have seen the inclusion of simple facts about its use. Additionally, Worm is credited as the editor, and although I noted only a few grammatical errors, a professional editor would have likely addressed the illustration inconsistencies before publishing.

Overall, I rate How to Pack an Alpaca Pack 3 out of 4 stars. Although the poor quality of some of the illustrations detracts from the book as a whole, the educational story and amusing photographs will entertain young readers through the age of 10. I also recommend it as a read-aloud story for parents, grandparents, and teachers.

How To Pack An Alpaca Pack
View: on Bookshelves
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

A book that not only entertains you g readers but also teaches them new things. Bravo to the author.
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

First of all the title is funny, which made me want to check out the review, and I like the way you explained the book and its qualities.
Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Post by Joan642 »

I liked the fact that the author included pictures in this book. At least it will help children to know what they are reading about and how it looks like. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Dayodiola wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 01:10 A book that not only entertains you g readers but also teaches them new things. Bravo to the author.
Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Nmesoma wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 05:24 First of all the title is funny, which made me want to check out the review, and I like the way you explained the book and its qualities.
Thank you. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Joan642 wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 07:31 I liked the fact that the author included pictures in this book. At least it will help children to know what they are reading about and how it looks like. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Thank you, Joan.
eumoire
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eumoire.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by eumoire »

This book seems entertaining. I don't know how the illustrations look like but I think kids would still like it.
“She preferred imaginary heroes to real ones, because when tired of them, the former could be shut up in the tin kitchen till called for, and the latter were less manageable.”
― Louisa May Alcott, Little Women
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

The book sounds educational and entertaining. I am sure kids would enjoy this book.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

eumoire wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 08:04 This book seems entertaining. I don't know how the illustrations look like but I think kids would still like it.
Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Miller56 wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 10:16 The book sounds educational and entertaining. I am sure kids would enjoy this book.
Thank you! :tiphat:
Bookworm101520
Currently Reading: Dead Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm101520.html
Latest Review: Crooked Creek: A Comedy about Writer's Block and a Neurotic Home Owners Association by Fredrick Robertson

Post by Bookworm101520 »

This book sounds like it would be a hit with my preschoolers! Thank you for a comprehensive review.
Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Return to Eternity by Jenni Barnett

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

Pictures and illustrations are the heart of any worthwhile children's book. This book sure ticks the box. Thanks for the review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Bookworm101520 wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 15:31 This book sounds like it would be a hit with my preschoolers! Thank you for a comprehensive review.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
RachelEmmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelemmanuel.html
Latest Review: Daddy’s Baby Mama’s Maybe by Come Lamore
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by RachelEmmanuel »

Sounds really sweet! My children are all grown up now but this would be the kind of book I would have read to them.
1 Cor 15: 19-20, 26 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.
But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead...The last enemy to be destroyed is death.

Return to “Children's Books”