Review by Kimikim -- Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kimikim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimikim.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Review by Kimikim -- Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Kimikim »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Love, Grandma" by Ann Morris.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The story of Love, Grandma by Ann Morris is at its core, an endearing tale. It is a recounting of a grandmother's time with her grandchildren where Ann Morris shares some of her own fond memories with readers, moments so precious she believes her grandchildren will be able to recall these memories too. Through rhyme and rhythm, Ann Morris takes us on a light-hearted and touching journey of heartwarming moments she shared with her grandchildren Payton and Haley that makes for a great addition to any child's library.

As someone who gets to witness these moments between my own mother and child, this book hit close to home and instantly pulled me in, bringing to mind my own memories of getting to watch the love and laughter between grandmother and grandchild. For every memory shared through the words, there is a smile to go along with it on the page as well as on the reader themself.

The concept of the book alone makes it a beautiful read with plenty of cheerful memories to go around. However, one of the things I liked the most about it is the illustration by David Gnass. One of the first things I noticed on the cover was that the family is illustrated as being biracial. This is appealing to many audiences like myself who can identify with the family. It also presents an opportunity for those who do not come from a biracial family where parents can educate their children of families unlike their own.

Another appealing aspect of the book is that the characters are drawn in a style that isn't too childish or too mature and can appeal to a good range in age. They are drawn in a way that nicely meshes cute and bright with detailed and toned, ideal for families with children of different ages.

The illustration paired with Ann Morris's rhyming would easily keep the attention of both my two-year-old daughter and my six-year-old niece. This, and being professionally edited with no errors, is why I'd rate this book a 4 out of 4

Love, Grandma
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”