Official Review: Love Lottery by Leigha Huggins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: Love Lottery by Leigha Huggins

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love Lottery" by Leigha Huggins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

To be loved and appreciated is one of our deepest desires. Love Lottery by Leigha Huggins is a children’s book that presented a sweet and appealing narrative of consistent and unconditional love for children.

A crying woman wished upon a star. Her baby, called a love lottery, arrived to fill her life with sunshine and dancing. The parents expressed their love for the child in words and through time spent together in family activities. The rhymed verses evoked a clear message that every child is a gift. The message of unconditional love offered to the child was my favorite part of this book.

The illustrations were simple, large drawings depicting a family in their home and outside in nature. Pale yellow, green, and red colors produced a calming effect to accompany the gentle verses. Most of the pages featured either stars or hearts in the background. The soothing and gentle cadence of the lyrics calms the listener, making this an ideal bedtime read.

Love Lottery contained some challenging words that could be problematic for younger children. Parents and caretakers might need to explain terms like “align, vibes, and resilience.” My only dislike was the author’s failure to explain the meaning of the word “lottery.” The concept of winning the lottery would be unfamiliar to younger children.

The first page featured a multitude of hearts. Each heart had a name. My first instinct was to search for a heart with my name. I couldn’t find it. It would be helpful for the author to include a suggestion to write the child’s name in one of the blank hearts. This way, the child would see their name every time the book was looked at or read. Seeing one’s name inside a heart would reinforce the book’s message of love and appreciation.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The affirmative, loving message makes this a heartwarming story for readers and listeners alike. The flawless editing of the narrative added to the enjoyment of this book. There were two errors in the notes to the parents. I would recommend that all parents and caretakers read this to children, starting as young as 6 months old, and for as many years as possible. Caretakers could read this book to youngsters during rest-time. What a beautiful world we would live in if children would grow up feeling confident of the acceptance and appreciation expressed in this book.

Love Lottery
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

Nice message of consistent and unconditional love that will have a positive impact on children.
Kevivas03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevivas03.html

Post by Kevivas03 »

Children surely need to be loved as expressed in this book. Themes of hearts and stars resonate well with little ones, as they speak to their never-ending imagination borders. This would be a beautiful book to read to my nephew.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I am so glad that the author decided to write this book. I hope it will reinforce a spirit of love and acceptance in its young readers. Great review.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Rashida10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashida10.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD

Post by Rashida10 »

This book seems to portray the author's love for children. I love children too, and I intend to read this book as soon as I get the chance. Thanks for sharing.
antilochos
Currently Reading: How to Define Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by antilochos »

Indeed, in one way or another, all of us desires to be loved and appreciated. This book may sound appealing to most readers because of that sentence.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

This is such a cute book. Your suggestion that the author includes an instruction that the child writes his/her name in one of the blank hearts is really thoughtful and good.
Beautiful review.
Live and let live, baby.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I love the message of love and acceptance, and I agree that it would be a beutiful world if all children were able to experience that! Thanks for a great review!
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

Lovely book. Thank you for the great review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a really sweet children's book and I love your suggestion about including an option for children to write their names in the hearts.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Tablito wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 03:25 Nice message of consistent and unconditional love that will have a positive impact on children.
This message is vital for young children. Hopefully, the message the author presents in this lovely book will reach the ears and hearts of many children. Thanks for commenting.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Kevivas03 wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 03:46 Children surely need to be loved as expressed in this book. Themes of hearts and stars resonate well with little ones, as they speak to their never-ending imagination borders. This would be a beautiful book to read to my nephew.
Your nephew will appreciate the love you share with him by reading this book. Thanks so much for reading and commenting.
RosesNThorns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosesnthorns.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by RosesNThorns »

Thanks for a great review! It's nice to have someone's opinion on the book first. I'll make sure we have this on our shelf.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

espo wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 04:18 I am so glad that the author decided to write this book. I hope it will reinforce a spirit of love and acceptance in its young readers. Great review.
It is such a positive message that enriches both the reader and the listener! Thanks for stopping by.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Rashida10 wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 05:19 This book seems to portray the author's love for children. I love children too, and I intend to read this book as soon as I get the chance. Thanks for sharing.
You will have a good time reading this book to children. And they will love you even more after hearing the enriching message! Thanks for reading and commenting.

Return to “Children's Books”