Official Review: Avery's Dream "Jesus is Alive"

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shannonkate8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: Cardiology for Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed

Official Review: Avery's Dream "Jesus is Alive"

Post by shannonkate8 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Avery's Dream "Jesus is Alive"" by Pearl Robinson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Avery's Dream "Jesus is Alive" by Pearl Robinson is a longer children's book for elementary-aged kids. The book starts with Avery waiting for her mother to read her a bedtime story. Unfortunately, her mother was busy with chores. By the time she made it to Avery's bedroom, Avery was fast asleep. Her mom never got to share the story of Jesus.

Avery's mom didn't need to share her story as Avery dreamed of him that very night. She was able to hear his story from his own mouth and ask him all the questions bouncing around in her little mind. She learns important lessons and her love for Jesus only grows. The specifics are left for you to uncover when you read the book.

I will start by saying that those who prefer to not read religious-based stories should not read this book. The author states herself that this book was "is written for the sole purpose of teaching the children​ about the life of Jesus.​" If you have no intention of letting your child read about Jesus, I suggest finding another book.​ Those who want to teach their children religious lessons would truly enjoy this book as it presents powerful messages in ways kids can understand.

I enjoyed the story. I thought that it did well in taking biblical accountings and relaying them in such a way that children can understand. Reading the Bible is difficult for adults. Children involved in the Christian faith are expected to know these stories and it is books like these that help simplify the Bible for them.

I liked the illustrations the most and believe that children will too. They were bright and colorful. It is bound to keep young minds engaged. I also appreciated the fact that the author included characters of different races into the story. It sends an additional message that Jesus loves everyone regardless of how they look, which is important.

That said, for being a children's book and only sixty-six pages, there were numerous grammatical errors and this was what I liked least about the book. There were moments where the author mixed tenses and every conversation was littered with quotation marks. By this, I mean that the author put quotation marks around every individual sentence. Additionally, I was not sure if the number of pages was due to the formatting in the copy I received. There were pages with pictures and text, pages with pictures only, and pages with text only. Given that I am unsure if I received a final copy of the book, the formatting was not considered in my rating.

Overall, I have to give this book 3 out of 4 stars. This rating was influenced by the above aspects. The story itself was good and I found that many kids in religious households should enjoy it. However, the grammatical errors hold the book back.

Avery's Dream "Jesus is Alive"
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Irene_A
2019 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-a.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Irene_A »

Love your review ! Indeed the illustrations is sure to keep children entertained. Love that it is a religious book. Thanks for the review.

AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Better Than Our Dogs by John J. Murray Jr.

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Great review. Too bad for grammatical erros, maybe they can rectify it in future editons.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl

Kevivas03
2019 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevivas03.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kevivas03 »

"Let the little children come to me" my savior once said. The author is fulfilling this very word as she brings children closer to Jesus through this work. Let it flourish and continue by God's grace; Amen.

Tablito
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Tablito »

I love Bible stories, they are fun to read. Pearl has done a splendid job in simplifying the Biblical accounts in the book, younger readers will benefit too.

The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by The_Vivian »

Growing up, biblical stories were the major things that kept my Christian and moral life in check, because all I ever wanted was to one day go to heaven, and see Jesus face to face. Without a book like this at my beck and call, I was able to feel that way. It is therefore not a surprise that I am already in love with this book. Any book that simplifies the story of Jesus is a must have for me as a Christian, and I would definitely love to, one day read it to my children. Wonderful review, I was smiling all through. Thank you.

Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Star_and_Buck »

Another promising book held back by grammatical mistakes. Thanks for your honest review.

Cony1983
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cony1983 »

This book is inspiring and good for our children growing spiritually.However the grammatical errors are too many and this might cause lack of interest in reading it.

Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Magnify3 »

It is a pity about the grammatical errors. However, I think that it could make a good tool for teaching Sunday school (story telling). Thanks for this review.

Return to “Children's Books”