Review by khaulah -- The Mountain and The Goat

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Review by khaulah -- The Mountain and The Goat

Post by khaulah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mountain and The Goat" by Siamak Taghaddos.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos is an art-filled short story that starts with an unknown narrator climbing up a mountain. On the way, the narrator meets a singing goat that offers him bread and water with the advice: “Do as you wish, but plan ahead!” The rest of the story is about what the narrator does with what he/she already has.

This book plants the seed of entrepreneurial skills in the minds of children subtly. The valuable skills like spotting opportunities, resourcefulness, and planning can help children become self-reliant. The narrator, instead of drinking the water, uses it to cultivate grass. It directs the children to think long-term. As the narrator gets help from diverse individuals, it teaches the children the importance of relying on others. After toiling for a long time by exchanging goods, the narrator gifts the glasses that he gets from the doctor to his father. By this, the author imparts the most critical skill of all: to value people.

Furthermore, the book also boosts the morale of anyone who is thinking of starting their life from scratch. The goat also signifies you can be the one to help someone who is in dire need of your resources. The one receiving the help may ultimately do the same for other people in need.

The book conveys the story in a few words with a gentle and rhythmic text. Zachary Cain employs bold and vibrant colors for the illustrations to interest little eyes. The images do not distract from the message but act as a reinforcement of it. The gender of the narrator is not specified, and he/she does not appear in the book. I loved that the author did not sideline any gender, helping the reader to imagine themselves in the place of the narrator.

This book makes teaching young souls about entrepreneurship fun. It is also interesting from an adult point of view. Therefore, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. There’s nothing that I dislike about the book. There are no grammatical errors; it is perfectly edited.

If you have a child at home, you can include this book in your bookshelf and read it to your child often. There’s no indication of an age-group suggestion or reading level of the intended audience in the book. I think The Mountain and The Goat would be suitable for children who are 4-8 years old.

The Mountain and The Goat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This is a rest children’s book that gives a wonderful message. I enjoyed reading this book. Great review!
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 29 Aug 2020, 02:36 This is a rest children’s book that gives a wonderful message. I enjoyed reading this book. Great review!
Thank you! 🙂
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordlessly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wordlessly »

The core values this book teaches i.e the art of giving, to value people, entrepreneurship etc. are all described really well in this review. Coupled with the bright illustrations, this sounds like a perfect package for the little ones. Excellent review!
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

I love how the author was able to employ such values in a children’s book. The illustration should be able to make the reading experience more fun and engaging. Lovely review!
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

I liked your observation about the goat. I didn't think of that. Overall, great review.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Wordlessly wrote: 30 Aug 2020, 03:44 The core values this book teaches i.e the art of giving, to value people, entrepreneurship etc. are all described really well in this review. Coupled with the bright illustrations, this sounds like a perfect package for the little ones. Excellent review!
Thank you so much for your kind words!
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

lavenderbooks20 wrote: 30 Aug 2020, 04:49 I love how the author was able to employ such values in a children’s book. The illustration should be able to make the reading experience more fun and engaging. Lovely review!
Thank you for reading my review! I appreciate your comment.
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Olabode Joshua wrote: 30 Aug 2020, 06:34 I liked your observation about the goat. I didn't think of that. Overall, great review.
Thank you for reading my review!
Reitumetse_R
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reitumetse-r.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Reitumetse_R »

This one is definitely making it to my shelf. I love love love it. I have an almost 4 year old daughter and I think the principles portrayed here are the best gifts from me to her. I just hope she won't refuse to drink her water all the time though :)
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Reitumetse_R wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 12:52 This one is definitely making it to my shelf. I love love love it. I have an almost 4 year old daughter and I think the principles portrayed here are the best gifts from me to her. I just hope she won't refuse to drink her water all the time though :)
Wishing you a good reading experience with your daughter🙂

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”