Official Review: I saw my PA today by Lavette Shirley Elee

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Mr Tortoise and Mr Serpent
Bookshelf Size: 446
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: The Silence of Ray by Karen Fletcher
fav_author_id: 165843

Official Review: I saw my PA today by Lavette Shirley Elee

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I saw my PA today" by Lavette Shirley Elee.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I Saw My P.A. Today is an educational book for young children written by Lavette Shirley Elee. The story features an active little girl who falls and injures her knee while running. The girl’s mother decides that they need to go to the urgent care clinic. The child is scared and doesn’t want to go, but the P.A. who tends to her injuries is kind and soon the little girl feels much happier and safer.

This story is written for children in the pre-school to early elementary range. The book has colorful pictures and there is good contrast between the text and the background so it is easy to read. The simple rhyming scheme makes the story easy and fun to follow, which is helpful for children who are learning how to read.

I think that the book could be useful for those studying to be medical providers to read as well, because it gives an insight into the way young children think. Young children need to be informed about medical procedures that they are undergoing in simple terms, and they need to be treated with compassion and respect. I was born in a time when medical providers tended to be scary, authoritarian figures who never explained what they were doing before doing it, and who tended to sneak up on the patient with a shot or such.

I once had a doctor perform an extremely painful procedure on me when I was seven years old. There was no warning or anesthetic given and my father held my hands down. I learned early on to be afraid of medical personnel, and I still experience anxiety about medical procedures although I am now in my fifties.

I give I Saw My P.A. Today four out of four stars. This book was intended to alleviate young children’s fears about medical providers and procedures, and it accomplishes that objective. My one criticism is about the fact that the procedure the young patient underwent was relatively painless, although I understand that brevity was one of the author’s objectives.

I feel that it would be helpful for the author to write future books to help children cope with common procedures involving relatively minor pain such as getting injections or having blood drawn as well as for children who may have to undergo surgery or have more complicated or ongoing medical procedures. The author’s approach is effective for encouraging children to not be afraid of going to the doctor for minor injuries that do not involve potentially painful interventions.

This book is appropriate for pre-school and early elementary readers. Older kids and teens will require a more sophisticated approach to the subject than this book offers.

I saw my PA today
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Lovely review. It was both detailed and insightful. Good job and thanks for your recommendation. I am sure my niece would love this book

Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Joan642 »

Nice review. I also think that medical providers should not be forceful in any procedure, especially with children. They should be enticed and treated with compassion.

Chivdi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chivdi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Chivdi »

Interesting review. This sounds like a well thought out book on the part of the author.

Dayodiola
2019 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dayodiola »

Review that was terribly done, great for the author.

Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Star_and_Buck »

I think it would turn a wonderful book whether for children or for adults.

espo
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espo.html
Latest Review: 90 Days to Your First Real Estate Investment Purchase by Robert Gill Jr.
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by espo »

I would have benefitted so much from reading this book as a child. I also had to go through medical procedures and developed a distrust/fear toward doctors and nurses that I still carry to this day. Thank you for your well-written review.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

In as much as it's a children's book, I feel the adults in the lives of these children will equally benefit from it.
Nice review.

Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Ada Ling »

Very warm story. Thank you for the great summary and honest thoughts.

Slater678
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slater678.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Slater678 »

I like the book because of it may make children see the medical profession as a possible carrier. Nice review thanks.

Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: Inheritance
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Doctors can definitely be scary, especially if you are young, or if it is your first visit. When children do not know what to expect, they are afraid, but if the situation is explained to them in a way they can understand, it is much less scary. This sounds like an important educational resource for teachers and parents alike. Thanks for the review.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:

kathy2705
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathy2705.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by kathy2705 »

Undergoing medical procedures is difficult for adults, I cannot begin to imagine how much is is scary and unbearable for young children. I am glad that there is a book like this that can inform the experience of children and caregivers.

Bookworm101520
Currently Reading: The Lost Art of Mixing
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm101520.html
Latest Review: The Memoir Man by Frances Webb

Post by Bookworm101520 »

What a wonderful and relatable review! This book would be great to share with my preschoolers. They are often nervous about going to the doctor and this book seems like it might help them to cope with that a little bit.

Mbrowns
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mbrowns »

What a wonderful book about a PA. The PA plays a role that many are not to aware of and this book highlights their impact in the medical arena. This book will inspire kids to one day day “I want to be a PA”. The author illustrated a common scenario that happens in everyday life. To all the PA’s out in the world we salute and appreciate all that you do.

AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: The Memoir Man by Frances Webb

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

I recently meet a convalescent child who was scared of any stranger around her. So she kept her distance. When asked why, her mom said 'she thinks you want to give her injections'. It was quite sad, giving how scared the girl was. So, I think this book is an amazing book that would be good for such little children.
Beautiful review.
Live and let live, baby!

Return to “Children's Books”