Official Review: Oodles and Oodles of Noodley Noodles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 353
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Monster Hotel by Susan and Mark Kibbe

Official Review: Oodles and Oodles of Noodley Noodles

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Oodles and Oodles of Noodley Noodles" by Cindy Ninni Grant.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What's your favorite food? Pizza? Hamburgers? Broccoli? Yuck. Well, Charli likes noodles of all shapes and sizes. Follow her noodle adventure in Oodles and Oodles of Noodley Noodles.

Written by Cindy Ninni Grant and illustrated by Katie Weaver, the first thing you'll notice is the eye-catching drawings. They are colorful and intricate. With so many details in one illustration, it's easy to stare at a page for hours finding each nuance. The many fantastic pictures make it hard to choose a favorite; however, if I were forced, I'd probably choose the swimming pool full of mac and cheese.

The font used works well with the colorful background.  To create even more interest, the author uses different colors for certain words and plays around with formatting. Some words are capitalized, some are bold, and some are underlined. They also aren't always in a straight line. All this helps to capture and sustain a child's interest.

The target audience for the story is children ages two to eight. While the vocabulary is advanced, the longer words are written phonetically in the pictures for children to sound out. I found this to be clever and unique, and I don't think I've seen its like before.

Since most of the lines rhyme, this would be a fun story for families to read aloud. A word of warning, though. There is some crude humor in the story. If you don't like poop talk, you might want to skip this book. (Still, you'd really miss out on the fun. After all, we all do it.)

As the title indicates, the book is about noodles. Charli talks about each noodle and uses the correct name. At the end, there is a guide to different types of pasta. Children can learn their name, what it means, and what they look like. Not only is this educational but it also lends itself to so many different crafts. Charli even states in the book: "Noodles? Paint? Let's do some art!"

In addition to the numerous positives already discussed, the book is exceptionally well-edited. I found no errors. For this, I applaud the author and editors, as it's important to teach a child correct grammar from an early age.

Because I found no faults with the book, I rate Oodles and Oodles of Noodley Noodles 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend it to parents of young children as well as educators and caretakers. Other than some discussion of poop and farts, there's nothing that would be offensive. I hope to hear more from Charli in the future.

Oodles and Oodles of Noodley Noodles
View: on Bookshelves
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This seems to be a fun book for kids. The title is quite unique and nice. I’m sure I’ll enjoy this book. Thanks for your beautiful review!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Life in a Box
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Son I Knew Too Late by Sally Raymond

Post by kdstrack »

I see what you mean about the illustrations. The cover picture is amazing! I am curious about the mac and cheese in the swimming pool?? It's great that the author includes suggestions for art projects. Sounds like a great book for kids, parents, and teachers. Thanks for the creative review!

Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Star_and_Buck »

The title of the book caught my attention. I hope the book is also good enough.
Nice review.

espo
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espo.html
Latest Review: 90 Days to Your First Real Estate Investment Purchase by Robert Gill Jr.
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by espo »

The title is already eye-catching, and I bet kids will enjoy the crude humor (including poop talk) in this book. Thank you for your insightful and well-written review!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Tales of Little Lady M by Diego Di Mauro

Post by LuciusM »

I have really enjoyed reading your great review and especially the conclusion in the last sentences.
"To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from all the miseries of life"

Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

I always enjoy reading your reviews. I agree with you on the rhymes and its suitability for the family. Thanks for the recommendation.

_prettyluhzamaria
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by _prettyluhzamaria »

This book sounds fun to read , yes yes yes I will love to read the bokm my own self!!! It seems fun for kids like 5 years old -7 years old , especially for the vocabulary ! Rhyming words can also be fun too !

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kdstrack wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 20:26
I see what you mean about the illustrations. The cover picture is amazing! I am curious about the mac and cheese in the swimming pool?? It's great that the author includes suggestions for art projects. Sounds like a great book for kids, parents, and teachers. Thanks for the creative review!
The book is worth reading just got that illustration alone. I'd love to go swimming in a pool of noodles! Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Star_and_Buck wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 20:30
The title of the book caught my attention. I hope the book is also good enough.
Nice review.
It's really a fun story. Kids and adults will like it. Thanks!
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

espo wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 07:03
The title is already eye-catching, and I bet kids will enjoy the crude humor (including poop talk) in this book. Thank you for your insightful and well-written review!
I know kids will love it. I know they'll even enjoy the discussion of poop and farts. I'm just not sure parents will enjoy them enjoying it. Thanks.
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

LuciusM wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 07:14
I have really enjoyed reading your great review and especially the conclusion in the last sentences.
Well thank you! It was a great book. Highly enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Vic Chimezie wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 09:43
I always enjoy reading your reviews. I agree with you on the rhymes and its suitability for the family. Thanks for the recommendation.
You're sweet! Thank so much. It's a fabulous book.
-Louisa May Alcott

Seroney_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seroney.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Seroney_ »

I think the illustrations are really vital for children. I love the cover of the book, it's seductive!Great review!

Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: Inheritance
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Valkyrie9 »

I must say it was the oh-so-fun to say title that grabbed my attention. This sounds like great fun, and I can imagine reading it allowed would result in a good number of laughs. I love the idea of having the difficult words written phonetically in the pictures for children to sound out! That is a great addition to any book for young readers. Thanks for the stunning review.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:

Return to “Children's Books”