Official Review: Turtles on a Log by Lynnie Pea

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Official Review: Turtles on a Log by Lynnie Pea

Post by Laura Lee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Turtles on a Log" by Lynnie Pea.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The late Maya Angelou wrote, "Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him." As a homeschooling mother of five, I am always on the lookout for good quality, well-written children’s books.

Turtles on a Log is an utterly charming children’s storybook from the pen of Lynnie Pea. The story centers on a group of mammalian, reptilian, aquatic, and avian friends gathered at a lake. They are excited to make a new friend in Baby Zake, a young turtle. The book ends with the suggestion that more stories are on the way about the adventures of this happy group of friends.

The story is told in a whimsical sing-song rhythm. There are frequent repetitions of specific phrases in the time-honored tradition of beloved children’s songs such as “A Hole in the Bottom of the Sea,” “Over in the Meadow,” and “I Know an Old Woman.” This repetition makes it an ideal storybook for very young children as it provides the reader with the opportunity to make the story interactive by asking the child, “Where is the snake? Can you find the turtle? Which one is the heron?” Young children love such interaction during story time and it has the added benefit of helping them learn different kinds of creatures.

Full-color illustrations cover every page, providing a cheerful accompaniment to the narrative. One point that I particularly appreciated was that the background color behind the words was lighter, making it easier to read. This may seem like a small matter, but that attention to detail contributes to making this a very well-written, easy-to-read picture book. There were some editing issues, but these had to do almost entirely with missing commas and one (possible) missing word. The words themselves were all spelled correctly. There was nothing in the story itself that I disliked.

Award-winning children’s author, Emilie Buchwald, once observed, “Children are made readers on the laps of their parents.” I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading to his or her child or grandchild. The words might be a bit too advanced for beginning readers, but it is perfect for reading to young children. While the book could stand an additional round of editing to bring it to perfection, there weren’t enough errors to warrant subtracting a star from the book’s rating. The musical rhythm and flow of the words, the visual appeal, and the winsome storyline all earn Turtles on a Log four out of four stars.

Turtles on a Log
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
jardenjarden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jardenjarden.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by jardenjarden »

I love children's books that have a natural sing-song rhythm to them! It makes reading to young kids so much more fun, as then we are able to make up our own tune. I will definitely add this to my list of recommendations for my cousins. Thank you for your wonderful review!
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

jardenjarden wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 03:47 I love children's books that have a natural sing-song rhythm to them! It makes reading to young kids so much more fun, as then we are able to make up our own tune. I will definitely add this to my list of recommendations for my cousins. Thank you for your wonderful review!
Kudos to you for making reading time with your cousins! :D It really is a fun book. Thanks for your comment!
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

What a cute story! I am sure this would make a valuable addition to any library, at home or at school. Thanks for the stunning review.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Valkyrie9 wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 06:49 What a cute story! I am sure this would make a valuable addition to any library, at home or at school. Thanks for the stunning review.
It really is a cute story. Thanks for your comment!
Laura Lee

kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The picture of the turtles on the log and the repetition of the phrase almost makes you want to sing the story! This sounds like one of those, "Read it again!" books that kids just love. (Down by the bay?? Have you ever seen, turtles on a log!!) I enjoyed all your insights about this book. Great review!
Alice Festo
Favorite Book: Deceitful Survival
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-festo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Alice Festo »

Turtles on a log is an interesting title that captures one's curiosity. I like that the book is interactive and musical this definitely captures the attention of children. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

Looks like a lovely read. Great review!
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

"Full-color illustrations cover every page, providing a cheerful accompaniment to the narrative" - I like children books with great pictures. Looks this one achieved this and it is a great read. Thank you for the introduction!
Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Return to Eternity by Jenni Barnett

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

I love children's books especially when it is well illustrated. Thanks for the review.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

What a lovely review! From the rhythm and writing style to the font and interactive questions contained in the story, you paid attention to every detail. The quotes you included ring true. I also appreciate the personal touch you added by mentioning your large family. (Five kids! Wow!)

Thank you for a thoroughly enjoyable review.
🐢🐢😊
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Queen Youngblood
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Queen Youngblood »

I love books that keeps a child mind sharp and exploring different things. To me when a book is well illustrated and worded it will keep the child wanting more to read. I have 5 granddaughters and they love to read. Thanks for this one.
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

I adore children's books and this one is so cute and full of lessons to be learned. Great review!
Comfortable5
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Comfortable5 »

From the review, I guess the book will so helpful for children.
The review sounds amazing

Return to “Children's Books”