Review by Patrick Maina1 -- The Mountain and The Goat

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Patrick Maina1
Currently Reading: The Power of Habit
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patrick-maina1.html
Latest Review: How To Keep Your Daughter From Slamming the Door by Deborah Ann Davis
Reading Device: Moonreader

Review by Patrick Maina1 -- The Mountain and The Goat

Post by Patrick Maina1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mountain and The Goat" by Siamak Taghaddos.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who doesn't want their children to succeed? This is why we sent them to school in the first place. Unfortunately, traditional schooling might not guarantee them that success. We all have seen graduates from top universities struggle to get themselves a decent job. What if we inculcated entrepreneurial skills in our children right from the onset? Wouldn't it give them an edge in terms of creating opportunities for themselves and others in the future? This is what Siamak Taghaddos does in The Mountain and The Goat.

Inspired by an old Persian poem taught to him by his father, the author creates a modern-day fable that intends to inspire children to seize the little opportunities that come their way. The story revolves around a child who on a trip to the mountains, encounters a singing goat. The goat offers the child some water and bread and advises him to plan ahead. The child wisely eats the bread but decides to use the water given to water grass. This singular act brings forth even greater results as illustrated in the variety of outcomes that follow.

The story has no specific narrator. It speaks to the mind of every child teaching them that there will always be somebody somewhere in need of the resources in their environment no matter how basic they may appear. What they need is a keen sense of observation and an attitude of exploration. Taghaddo's intention is to instill in the reader a mindset of seeing opportunity all around.

I really loved the simplicity with which the author delivers weighty life lessons. In a couple of words, the author delivers what would take hours of ordinary teaching. Zachary Cain does a wonderful job with the illustrations. The pictorials are relevant, colorful, and eye-catching.

The book is error-free in terms of editing and the plot flows effortlessly and for that reason, I am convinced that this book fully deserves a 4 out of 4 rating. The only thing I found dull about it is the font. I found myself wishing it was fancier. This is a very good book for children though the lessons apply across the board.

The Mountain and The Goat
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”