Official Review: Finding Lisa by Kathy Halliday Johnston

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: Bayou Blitz by Mike Kelly

Official Review: Finding Lisa by Kathy Halliday Johnston

Post by JKO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Finding Lisa" by Kathy Halliday Johnston.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Finding Lisa by Kathy Halliday Johnston is a children’s book that follows Lisa on her journey to finding herself. After moving to the city from Durham, Lisa finds it difficult to make friends. As a result of her loneliness, she reinvents herself into what she thinks the city girls want her to be. However, everything she does seems to have the opposite effect as she still hasn’t made any friends after the third week of trying.

Because of her frustrations, she cries herself to sleep under the cherry tree by her window. Lisa wakes up as a fairy. As a fairy, she hopes it isn’t quite as difficult to make new friends. Still, no new fairy friends visited her. However, she spots a group of fireflies, ladybugs, and caterpillars. She decides to make friends with each group. She then approaches the fireflies, pretending to be one of them and is rejected when they find out. She does the same thing with the ladybugs, and the result is no different. She now has one more chance with the caterpillars; what does she do? Pretend to be someone she’s not? Or be herself? After the outcome of her episode with the caterpillars, she wakes up under the cherry tree with some valuable lessons.

I usually have high standards when selecting a children’s book. One important criterion I consider during this selection process is the lesson that the novel seeks to teach and how significant it is to the general growth of the child. That said, I am pleased that the author completely justified this requirement. It was a joy to see that this book sought to teach children the importance of being themselves. I think this is a trait that has eluded most people nowadays. With this book, readers would learn that they are important, special, and loved just the way they are. I think this is the first step to shaping a world void of pretense.

I also liked that the author used simple English that would be easily understood by children. Additionally, it was refreshing to see the colorful illustrations that were included throughout the book. I think these pictures are important because they make readers feel refreshed while reading. Another advantage of these illustrations is that they capture the attention of the children and make them more interested in the story. For example, when I showed my nine-year-old niece some of the pictures in this read, her interest was piqued, and she insisted she read the book with me. I have read this book to her two times more, which is a testament to how much she enjoys it.

There is nothing to dislike about this book. The author also did a good job in terms of storytelling. The book editing was done professionally; I found no grammatical or typographical errors throughout the text. As a result of how much I enjoyed reading and how significant I found the lessons to be, I have the pleasure of rating Finding Lisa a perfect 4 out of 4 stars. This book would appeal mostly to children between the ages of 8 and 13. Even if this is a children’s book, I also think people who struggle with their identity can benefit from it.

Finding Lisa
View: on Bookshelves

Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Nqobile771 »

I have recently developed a strong liking for children's books. Your review is interesting, as a result, I will be reading Finding Lisa by Kathy Halliday Johnston soon. Thanks. :wink2:
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

gatuguta2030
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatuguta2030.html
Latest Review: Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by gatuguta2030 »

What a book? This must be a captivating read. The inclusion of pictures in the story is quite interesting to the children.

Guda LM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lm.html
Latest Review: Protestants by Alain Marshall

Post by Guda LM »

The book seems adorable and has an important lesson attached. It's good for children to understand the importance of being oneself. Everyone is unique and should be proud of who they are. Great review!

Munachimso_Nwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-munachimso-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Munachimso_Nwaogazie »

This book will definitely appeal to children. There's a lot to learn here. Nice review!

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: The Miracle by James M. LeBlanc

Post by Elvis Best »

I do enjoy reading children's books. Thanks for the lovely review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Doziesixtus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doziesixtus.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Doziesixtus »

I admire your criteria for selection of children's books. Keep it up.

Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: Inheritance
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Wow! What a beautiful story, and such an important lesson for children, and even adults, to learn. Thanks for the warm and thorough review.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:

Esther70
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Esther70 »

Wow.... This book is worth learning from. I also learn from the book for me to be myself to standout. The writer must be a great write. I recommend this book( Finding Lisa) to all parent to get this book for there children and also to those who are shy in making friends.

gatuguta2030
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatuguta2030.html
Latest Review: Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by gatuguta2030 »

This book is a great read for children. Thanks for the beautiful review.

Christieee
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christieee.html
Latest Review: Secondary Break by marvin williams sr

Post by Christieee »

I love that the message here is for people to be themselves and not pretend to be anything they’re not. This message of confidence will be very beneficial to children and many children may be able to see themselves in Lisa.

Thanks for the splendid review.

Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

This book promises lots of lessons for children. Thanks for the review.

Midsummer_Fae1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Midsummer_Fae1 »

I was captivated by "Finding Lisa" from the first pages of the book. I immediately related to the poignancy of the times when Lisa cried her self to sleep, because of profound sadness she felt. Lisa's sadness was streaming from her perceived failure to find connections with others, which for me is a relatable and often a difficult task regardless of one being a child or an adult. Through beautiful metaphors and at times dark humor, the author described Lisa's resourcefulness to look like others, ladybugs, fairies, ants and other adorable insect creatures found in nature that turned out to be superficial connections. Lisa was rejected by the others and her sadness was even greater than ever before. When Lisa looked down to the caterpillars, she discovered her ability to make deep connections and was able to make friends from this experience. Lisa discovered her unique rhythm and voice on her journey to find friends and happiness.
The illustrations in "Finding Lisa" are endearing and this book conveys a powerful message about making meaningful connections with oneself and others.

Return to “Children's Books”