Official Review: Have You Seen a Self-Driving Car?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Official Review: Have You Seen a Self-Driving Car?

Post by MsH2k »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Have You Seen a Self-Driving Car?" by Anna Prakash-Ashton PH.D. & Elaina Ashton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have never seen a self-driving car, but now I know how one works! Have You Seen a Self-Driving Car? is a children’s book targeting ages five though twelve. The mother-daughter author team of Anna Prakash-Ashton and Elaina Ashton expertly explain the functionality and fun of autonomous robotic vehicles.

Both authors have received awards in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) advocacy and outreach. Their passion and expertise translate to inquisitive energy on every page. Impressively, Ms. Ashton was a high school senior when this book was published.

The illustrations feature happy cars with a LiDAR (light detection and ranging) unit on top and oversized interiors to show people relaxing as they ride. The book’s thoughtful design begins by taking the reader through nine questions about self-driving cars. The topics range from how these vehicles benefit senior citizens and people with disabilities to how they navigate school crossings safely. Each question is addressed with a colorful, full-page illustration. A short answer is provided at the top of the page, and a paragraph with a more detailed explanation is given at the bottom. After the question-and-answer section, the book covers a few key technologies such as ultrasonic sensors and GPS (Global Positioning System), each with their own brilliant illustration and easy-to-understand definition. A learning assessment and glossary conclude this 28-page book.

The complexity of the technology required to operate a car safely is amazing. The scenarios illustrate how easily distractions like texting, inclement weather, and physical impairment can cause accidents. I learned an important tip: Do NOT ignore the warning lights on these cars! They are not highlighting issues that can wait a few days.

What I like most about this book is it informs and inspires. I commend the authors for not diluting the content. These pages can encourage children interested in technology to pursue a career that will make self-driving cars a fully functioning capability in their lifetime. Adults will also marvel at how the progression of technology over the years such as anti-lock brakes and park assist have led to this point in the evolution of driving. I rate Have You Seen a Self-Driving Car? 4 out of 4 stars. There was nothing I disliked in this book. The illustrations were colorful and engaging, and it was edited well. I found only a few minor errors. I recommend this delightful read to technology lovers of all ages.

Have You Seen a Self-Driving Car?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

That sounds like an engaging educational book for kids with an amazing theme. Thanks for the review.
Ms_Rita30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-rita30.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ms_Rita30 »

Self-driving cars? Sure sounds like an interesting read. Even as an adult my interest has been piqued. Great job!
Lizziemarcel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizziemarcel.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Lizziemarcel »

What an inspiring comic book. I'm sure kids will fall in love with the story, the title alone is Captivating. Great review.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I love children books, and this one sounds particularly interesting to me. Moreover, I have never seen a self-driving car, too. Thanks for the lovely review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I really like the cover. I didn't expect it to be so engaging and technological. I would have to read it a too. Thanks for this review!
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I don't understand much about tehnics but I am sure my little boy would definitely love this book! He's been a real car fan all his life... And I must say the cover is adorable and inviting.

Thanks for your nice review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
geebeex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geebeex.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by geebeex »

this sounds so interesting! I love the idea of getting kids involved in STEM subjects early on. I really enjoyed your review, thank you!
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

A concise summary indeed. I might give this book a look someday.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Wow. I'm still not sure about a self-driving car. Nice work though by the authors. And this review is really explanatory and informative.
Live and let live, baby.
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

Sounds like a fun, engaging and educational read perfect for kids in this day and age. Great review!
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

The book seems interesting and educative for children. I might like this as well. Thanks for your wonderful review.
SenSen
Currently Reading: Never Let Me Go
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sensen.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by SenSen »

I like how a mother and her daughter came up with the idea to write a children's book about such an interesting topic that is both captivating and educational. Thank you for the review!
It was so gorgeous it almost felt like sadness. The Lake, Banana Yoshimoto
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Wy_Bertram »

I don't believe I've ever encountered such seemingly complex science aimed at children before. Commendable work by the authors, and a fantastic review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Wow! This one seems to be really educational for young kids :) And I loved the cover. Thank you for a great review!

Return to “Children's Books”