Review by Barbara Larkin -- Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Review by Barbara Larkin -- Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Barbara Larkin »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Love, Grandma" by Ann Morris.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Love, Grandma is a heartwarming children’s book written by Ann Morris and illustrated by David Gnass. With catchy verses and likable characters, this story can be read as a nighttime story that has the appealing quality of nursery rhymes.

Love, Grandma depicts the pure love of a grandparent for her two grandchildren, Payton and Haley. It follows the three as they engage in fun activities like playing dress-up, mimicking pony rides, reading books and baking cookies. As the two girls grow, their experiences act as the foundation for a lifetime of cherished memories.

I liked how relatable this book felt. As I read the girls’ and their grandmother’s indulgence in the simple pleasure of being with one another, I could not help but be reminded of my own childhood. Their activities were so much like the ones my sisters and I took part in that they evoked this feeling of nostalgia, causing me to receive the story with not a small amount of bias.

The illustrations in Love, Grandma went well with the story. I felt even without the actual words, readers could glean the message – the simple joy of love – from just the pictures alone. The dynamic between all the characters is plainly seen, with none of the scenes seeming static or boring.

The writing in the book was just as exemplary as the content and illustrations. I located no errors whatsoever, leading me to the assumption that this book was professionally edited. The rhyming nature of the story also added to its overall finish, done in such a way that interests young readers.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I could not find a single thing wrong with this story and think that this rating is fully deserved. I would recommend this book to children of ages four though eight years, most especially to those who prefer rhyming stories.

Love, Grandma
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”