Official Review: How Dreams Come True by Cecil W. Jentges

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Democracy in America
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of Finley and Cisco by Lisa Ozalis-Graham

Official Review: How Dreams Come True by Cecil W. Jentges

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How Dreams Come True" by Cecil W. Jentges.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How Dreams Come True by Cecil W. Jentges is a children’s picture book about a family’s need to have faith in their dreams. The story begins with the father as he is searching for his life partner. He hears a voice saying to hold on and have faith in love and his dreams, and eventually he finds the woman he is looking for. Throughout the book, this message is repeated, and more members of the family learn to persevere towards a better tomorrow.

I really enjoyed the message of this book. The author does a good job showing that achieving our life goals requires both faith and action, as the characters are shown keeping up their hope while taking action to reach those goals. I also enjoyed how the message was shown being passed from one person to another. The father receives it first and passes it to the mother during a difficult time. Then she passes it to her son when they both need hope for the future.

My biggest criticism of this book is that it feels as though it was written for the author’s son and only for him. The characters are called “Daddy” and “Mommy” by the narrator, and the reader is addressed as “you” and shown to be the baby boy that the father and mother have together. It feels like a bedtime story that a father told his son, and I think this could make it difficult for other children to see themselves in the kid’s place.

Overall, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The message is strong, the illustrations are beautiful, and I only found one mistake in the book. However, I’m not sure that kids will be able to relate to the characters in the book since it’s so obvious that the book was created for the author’s son.

I would recommend this book to parents of children ages three to seven. I think this book would be especially good for kids who share similarities with the boy in the story, including having a parent who is a healthcare worker.

How Dreams Come True
View: on Bookshelves

Christieee
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christieee.html
Latest Review: The Greatcoat by Lawrence DAntonio

Post by Christieee »

Hmmm, this seems like a complicated writing style; I do not think that I will enjoy reading this book because of it. However, I feel it is necessary to have faith in whatever outcome you’re hoping for in life, and this book embodies that belief, which is a pleasure for me to see.

I enjoyed this review, thank you.

Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Wrong
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by Dominik_G »

I appreciate that How Dreams Come True emphasizes that in order to achieve our goals we need to have faith AND we need to take action too. I think this is an important message. Thank you for your review!

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by Elvis Best »

The title of this book attracted me to read this review. Thank you for such an insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Chiagbanwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiagbanwe.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Chiagbanwe »

I like the fact that it has the message of hope for its characters. However, as you said, kids might find it difficult to relate to the place of the boy in the story.
Geat review.

Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Effective Leaders and Leadership by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Star_and_Buck »

Sounds a pretty good book for children. However it will teach children how to have faith in themselves.

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Hollywood Marine by Stephen J Osborne

Post by Priyanka2304 »

It feels good to know that these values are inculcated in a child from an early stage through these wonderful stories. Thanks for the amazing review.

aaurba
2019 Reading Goal: 48
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaurba.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by aaurba »

I agree that the message is beautiful. Hopefully, that author tries to revise this amazing picture book to cater to other children and not just young boys.
“Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like.”
― Lemony Snicket

Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: Inheritance
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by Valkyrie9 »

This book highlights such an important lesson for young children: dreams are important and if we want them to come true we have to have faith and never stop believing in them. A pity the writing style seemed so specific as to make the reader feel excluded though. Thanks for the honest review.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:

elsiebeth
Favorite Author: Pamela Schoenewaldt
Currently Reading: Dog Sport Skills
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elsiebeth.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 37948

Post by elsiebeth »

As an adult, I still enjoy reading children's books. I grew up being read to, as did my children. My kids are grown, but still, we have great fun sharing and discussing our books.
It is encouraging to discuss children's books with other adults. I love the imagination and colorful art. It is much easier to see the author's writing style in a short simple story.
Thank you for doing this great review. It is very helpful. It is encouraging that other adults read children's literature. Sometimes I feel like the Lone Ranger. It is easy to feel foolish as you read Good Night Moon to your dogs.

Joseph_ngaruiya
2019 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

I like the book cover and the storyline. I also enjoyed reading your review.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.

Patrick Maina1
Currently Reading: The Power of Habit
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patrick-maina1.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath
Reading Device: Moonreader

Post by Patrick Maina1 »

Faith and action.That is precisely what we need for our dreams to come true.I found the review very insightful.

Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Teele »

The author does a good job showing that achieving our life goals requires both faith and action
So true. Thanks for a good review.

ivana7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana7.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by ivana7 »

I like the idea and the basic message that this book carries. I think it’s important for kids today to believe they can make their dreams come true!
Thank you for a great review!

Return to “Children's Books”