Official Review: My Heart in Kenya by Ruth Beardsley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bunmiolu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bunmiolu.html
Latest Review: My Heart in Kenya by Ruth Beardsley

Official Review: My Heart in Kenya by Ruth Beardsley

Post by bunmiolu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Heart in Kenya" by Ruth Beardsley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Heart in Kenya by Ruth Beardsley is a captivating children’s book, which narrated the real-life story of a young child named Nasteha. Immigration has been an act that has been in existence for ages and remains popular in several countries. The author started with a brief description of Nasteha’s parents and why they originally left their home country. In addition to this, the author explained why family separated at a point. While the mother and children stayed in the refugee camp in the new country, the father stayed somewhere else.

As expected from every good parent, Nasteha’s mother strived a lot to ensure that her children live a better life in a safer place. After several years, she got an opportunity to relocate with her children to Canada. Unfortunately, she was unable to travel with Nasteha. To make the matter worse, mistakes were made due to the immigration officers' failure to provide translation services during the arrival procedures in Canada. Nasteha’s mother attempted to reunite with her daughter, who she left in the care of her sister, Ebla, back in Kenya.

I enjoyed reading about the support that Nasteha’s mother got in Canada, which she found instrumental in her attempt to reunite with Nasteha. In addition to this, I appreciate the love and care that Ebla showered on Nasteha at the tender age, which was very critical in the girl’s life. Even though Nasteha was not with her biological mother for several years, the author demonstrated that Nasteha enjoyed the love of motherhood.

I love the simplicity and clarity of the story, and I believe that children will enjoy reading the book. The story is real, and some immigrants might find the story familiar. Another fascinating fact about the book is that it was well edited. I did not notice any grammatical or typographical errors in it. I must also mention that the author has a professional writing style. The excellent writing style was enhanced with the pictures and illustrations on all the pages of the book. The pictures tremendously engaged me. There is nothing that I do not like about the book.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is a 4-rated book because I believe the audience will find the book engaging and exciting. In addition to this, it was professionally edited. I will recommend this book as an entertainment book to all children that can read and mature readers who enjoy reading short stories. Specifically, I will recommend the book to readers that love reading about immigration.

My Heart in Kenya
View: on Bookshelves
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

This is an awesome children's book. I love how the author tells the story of immigrants in a simple and clear manner. Thanks for the insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I can see a lot of cross cultural connections in the story. This book will surely interest the kids and help them to know the world in a better way. Thanks for the amazing review.
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Lovely children book I must say. I enjoyed reading your review. It was very informative and detailed. Thank you for your recommendation.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Sounds interesting, touching and very real. A lot of lessons and many conversations can be derived from this book. Great review!
Destjohn
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Destjohn »

Sounds very interesting to read and sounds real. There’s a lot of lessons learned and many conversations can be about the book

Return to “Children's Books”