Official Review: Momma, Can I Sleep with You Tonight?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Official Review: Momma, Can I Sleep with You Tonight?

Post by Verna Coy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Momma, Can I Sleep with You Tonight?" by Jenny Delacruz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Welcome to "Momma, Can I Sleep with You Tonight?" This is a story written by Jenny Delacruz. It tells the tale of a young child and how he is affected by COVID 19. The pandemic has changed the way we live. Children that used to play with each other every day in the park don't see one another in person now. Family visits are done in a virtual world via a computer. Can this small boy find a way to deal with this? Will his mother be able to help him? To find out, you must read this book!

The illustrations and cover of this book suited the story well. The bright colors of the cover, as well as the soft, lovely pastels in some of the pictures, complement the story wonderfully. The comforting expressions on the faces of the mother and child in the story make this book an enjoyable read all the way through despite its dealing with strong emotions.

The lesson that everyone can work together by helping each other and wearing protective masks is an essential element in this story. It is possible to live in this new way. These aspects of the storyline will resonate with young readers as well as their parents.

It's plain to see that this author encourages kids to deal with problems that they can face and find comfort in family closeness. Her experience as a counselor is undoubtedly a big part of that. I appreciated the positive structure of this story and how its messages are delivered. This writing style is what I liked most about the book.

The character development is excellent in this tale. I loved how mother and son cared about each other and confided to each other their worries about family members and grandparents. This demonstration of togetherness shows what it is like to be part of a support network for others.

The section at the end of the book is especially helpful. It lists the effects of grief and loss and offers suggestions to parents and educators on how to deal with issues caused by COVID 19. Knowing what to expect can be a great help, and this area lets people know what they can watch for as life moves forward. This section also has a list of resources for readers to take advantage of that are of value.

I could find nothing to dislike about this book. It is professionally edited and formatted. I found no errors. For these reasons, I am happy to rate it with 4 out of 4 stars. This book will appeal the most to parents with small children who may be feeling afraid about the changes in our world brought about by COVID 19. If you aren't into children's stories that deal with COVID 19, this may not be the book for you.

Momma, Can I Sleep with You Tonight?
View: on Bookshelves | on Smashwords
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

As a licensed counselor specializing in family conflicts, trauma, parenting issues, and a children’s author, Jenny Delacruz knows how to address family issues effectively. The current pandemic has impacted a lot of lives negatively. This book will not only be relevant now but in the coming future. I will purchase a copy for my future kids.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

What an endearing story for the little ones during these very difficult times. Your review has me intrigued. Thank you!
Chinelookeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelookeke.html
Latest Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Chinelookeke »

An awesome book. Seeing it's about COVID 19 is funny though,but the message in it is really good. This pandemic changed a lot of things. Nice one. Thanks.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

Reading the title, I thought it would be a horror story. Turned out to be on the pandemic. Thanks for the review.
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

Great review, though I'll skip this one, not my type.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

The title and cover of this book attracted me to read the book, and it seems the book is worth the hype. I enjoyed reading this review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

A great book for children to come to terms with what’s happening. I enjoyed reading your review!
kljrox
Favorite Book: The Pentagon Years
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kljrox.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by kljrox »

Nice book that can help children understand the current situation in their lives. I'm glad that the author is credible. Thank you for a very informative review.
"I promised myself that I would take the time to notice simple beauty every day."
Richard L. Haight
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

It sounds like the author has done an excellent job of helping children (and adults) process this challenging time. It’s also impressive how quickly she and the illustrator got this book out without compromising quality. Thanks for a great review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Handling the issues caused by Covid-19 are not easy at all. My two kids have had a lot to handle and naturally a lot to ask. This book could definitely be helpful while dealing with theses issues. Thanks for your review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Thandeka 01
Currently Reading: The Duke's Bride in Disguise
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Thandeka 01 »

Splendid job, showing the children out there around the world that they are not alone in this pandemic. Being there as a parent is very important and to show your child that there is hope. Great work with the review
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I too need to read this book. Children are not the only ones affected. Thank you for the recommendation.
gayscott
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gayscott.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by gayscott »

:cry: This would be a great book to help kids deal with what is going on in our world. It's hard for them to understand why things are so different.
I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me. :reading-6: :reading-6: :angelic-cyan:
blancaelizondo214
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by blancaelizondo214 »

Corona virus it is bad for children if parents are worry for food, money etc etc, it is sad a corona virus book for children.

Return to “Children's Books”