Review by Leen282 -- What's Your Favorite Color?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leen282
2021 Reading Goal: 26
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Review by Leen282 -- What's Your Favorite Color?

Post by Leen282 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "What's Your Favorite Color?" by Amber L Lassiter.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In What's your favorite color?, Amber L. Lassiter tells us about a day at school with a specific assignment. All students had to come to school wearing a clothing item in their favorite color. In school, they had to paint a picture using their favorite color for at least one element. For the occasion, the teacher had used colorful decoration in the classroom. When the kids were ready to start painting, Amber realized she forgot her watercolors at home. She asked her classmates to use some of their paint without giving away her favorite color. Can the reader figure it out before the end of the book?

This book, aimed at children, has a beautiful cover, hinting at the colorful paintings the children will make. The story itself includes dialogue between the children, talks about cooperation and sharing, and teaches about colors. The author adds questions that invite the readers to think about what is happening and what the classmates are thinking and feeling.

I like the cooperation between the children, they share their paint with Amber, and they all look forward to learning the favorite color of the others.

I am not a big fan of the way the questions appear throughout the book. I understand it may be easier to have the question close to the text it relates to, but for me, it interrupts the flow of reading. The book leaves blank space for the reader to try and answer the questions. This looks nice, but it is not practical when reading on an e-reader. I am not too fond of this in a paper book either since a second reader won't have the same joy in reading and thinking about the book. There were just a few typos.

For the above reasons, I rate this book three out of four stars. I can recommend it to children and their parents or educators, but when used in a school, I'd request that the children not write on the blank pages.

What's Your Favorite Color?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Fernando222
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernando222.html
Latest Review: If Only by Elaine Blick

Post by Fernando222 »

Amber seems smart and intelligent. I would love to read this book to my children someday. Interesting review.
gabrielletiemi
Currently Reading: História do Cerco de Lisboa
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielletiemi.html
Latest Review: Growth by Jon Pulli

Post by gabrielletiemi »

This book has an interesting premise. It sounds nice to make children curious. Thanks for the great review!
Latest Review: Growth by Jon Pulli
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fanatic.html
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato

Post by book_fanatic_ »

This is an exciting book for kids that would help in learning along with having fun. I enjoyed it while reading. Nice review.
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live. - Annie Dillard
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato
Maina Joel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Maina Joel »

I think the book seems to follow an interesting route of exploring the ever-curious minds of young children while adding the important life-lesson on being helpful. I think that's lovely. Great review and would read the book to my child someday in the future
Miks_solon
Favorite Book: Inviting Muslims to Christ
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miks-solon.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Miks_solon »

I love how you described Amber. Characters on children's' books are very crucial, it must suit their age and level of understanding. The book is interactive too, surely the kids will going to enjoy this. Thanks for the review!
"Sometimes we need fantasy to survive the reality"
FABIAN_BATS
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: Can I Be Frank?
Currently Reading: Witnesses to The Crucifixion
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabian-bats.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B07ZT3ZMJ7

Post by FABIAN_BATS »

I have little ones of whom I'm sure would absolutely love the book. Great review!
Fabian
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by jennydelacruz »

Sounds like a workbook with all those questions and blank pages for the answers. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”