Official Review: Emilia Rose and the rainbow adventure

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Chameleons
Bookshelf Size: 221
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Official Review: Emilia Rose and the rainbow adventure

Post by AvidBibliophile »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Emilia Rose and the rainbow adventure" by Dr. Debra Ford Msc.D.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you ever dream of a perpetually sunny land of carousels and rollercoasters where all treats and toys are free and everyone’s a friend? Do you wish to host fanciful tea parties where the guests wear magic glasses and are partial to lemon-chocolate cookies? Emilia Rose and the rainbow adventure is a unique children’s book by Dr. Debra Ford, Msc.D, and it is the first book in The adventures of Emilia Rose and the LiaBots series. With these kid-centric tales, Ford seeks to create spiritual stories for children that are based on Connection, Balance, and Flow – the three key principles of the Tao (pronounced Dow).

Each night in her dreams, little Emilia Rose transforms into “a mystic with magical powers” and travels to an imaginary place called LiaLand. She frolics joyfully amidst a group of 8 representational LiaBots. Each one of these entities has been assigned a unique name that corresponds with whichever one of the 8 trigrams (building blocks of nature) it is meant to represent. For example, Glow is red and represents fire, while Puff is purple and moves like the wind. The LiaBots resemble miniature penguins, and the 4 females come accessorized with tiny bows.

The LiaBots help the girl solve mysteries, and they possess the ability to hover and fly. When Emilia Rose seeks to discover the origin of rainbows, off they go like busy bees on a mission. During their quest, they must travel through ‘NOLand,’ a dreadful place of early bedtimes and grumpy grown-ups. They also infiltrate a flock of geese and a gossipy group of birds before finally discovering the emanation point of colored arcs.

This 45-page story features 19 full-page watercolor illustrations, and I greatly enjoyed the radiant conclusion to the tale. I did encounter several typographical errors and instances of missing punctuation, but other than the grammatical issues, there was nothing I disliked about the story itself. While the author wrote this tale especially for her granddaughter, she urges parents and guardians to consider substituting their own child’s name into the story, so that an even greater sense of personalization may be achieved. Kids will likely giggle at the word “brouhaha” and find the idea of 'wrinkly' adults comical. For the adult readers, the book concludes with an informational appendix that explains more about the Tao and each of the associated trigrams.

As a spiritual philosophy teacher, Ford strongly endorses spiritual mysticism and spiritual balance. For readers who are hesitant to embrace the idea of yin-yang and metaphysical sorts of teachings (as they relate to life’s ultimate journey), I would not recommend this one. However, I feel this title makes an excellent junior companion to one of Ford’s earlier books: Daily Pulse, rhythm of the Tao.

Due simply to the number of minor typos, I award the current version of this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. If the errors were corrected and addressed, I’d gladly award all four stars. Themes of teamwork, bravery, perseverance, and curiosity are woven throughout, and the content is appropriate for toddlers and beyond. This book would be great for intuitive learners; especially those who love to inject a little bit of fantasy and magic into their imaginative meanderings!

Emilia Rose and the rainbow adventure
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

RetiredOBNurse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RetiredOBNurse »

Wow, what an enchanting place LiaLand must be! You mentioned the author wrote the story for her own granddaughter and suggests inserting your own child’s name to personalize the adventure even more. I feel that is a great idea and would increase the magical experience for all. Thanks for another entertaining review and I hope the author will address and correct the errors found.

Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Honest-reviewer »

The book seems to be really good! I can consider reading it some day. Thanks for your beautiful review!

Kanda_theGreat
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Dragon Country by Melissa Robbins

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

It's a pity that a book meant for toddler has a fair share of errors.
Great review!

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Henge by Laurence Tysoe

Post by Elvis Best »

Such a magical world for a little girl to live in. I like the part of the spiritual teachings, too. Great review!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: Quietus in the Garden of Deceit by Richard Nehrebecki

Post by Topsey »

This sounds like a creative and lovely children's book. I always find it a shame when they have errors since the books are not too long. Thank you for your review though!

AvidBibliophile

RetiredOBNurse wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 08:12
Wow, what an enchanting place LiaLand must be! You mentioned the author wrote the story for her own granddaughter and suggests inserting your own child’s name to personalize the adventure even more. I feel that is a great idea and would increase the magical experience for all. Thanks for another entertaining review and I hope the author will address and correct the errors found.
A magical dreamland of cookies and tea, where birds frolic freely and rainbows radiate colored prisms of joy! A very sweet story and worthwhile message indeed. Thanks for your comment!

AvidBibliophile

Honest-reviewer wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 09:00
The book seems to be really good! I can consider reading it some day. Thanks for your beautiful review!
Thank you so much for checking it out! This darling dreamland is packed full of magic and light. :)

AvidBibliophile

Kanda_theGreat wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 10:24
It's a pity that a book meant for toddler has a fair share of errors.
Great review!
A lot of the errors were related to missing commas around mid-sentence speaker tags between quotes, so they luckily wouldn’t be the type of errors that children would notice! A sweet story that deserves a bit more polish to make it all that it can be. Thanks for the kind words!

AvidBibliophile

Elvis Best wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 10:31
Such a magical world for a little girl to live in. I like the part of the spiritual teachings, too. Great review!
The spiritual aspect was a delightful component! This author has a lovely way of teaching through entertaining examples that are easy to grasp. Assigning characters to abstract thoughts helped solidify things like lakes and peaks into tangible personalities. A really unique approach to the metaphysical field. Thank you for stopping by!

AvidBibliophile

Topsey wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 14:02
This sounds like a creative and lovely children's book. I always find it a shame when they have errors since the books are not too long. Thank you for your review though!
I agree with you completely, and these errors would be so easy to correct. I hope the author will get a chance to assess all of the material more thoroughly before the next book in her series is released. Such a creative concept and teaching idea!!

Fernando222
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernando222.html
Latest Review: If Only by Elaine Blick

Post by Fernando222 »

This book seems to portray fantasy, creative imagination, and supernatural characters. The writer’s effort in character development is very thoughtful. Your review is quite detailed.

AvidBibliophile

Fernando222 wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 15:52
This book seems to portray fantasy, creative imagination, and supernatural characters. The writer’s effort in character development is very thoughtful. Your review is quite detailed.
Agreed! The creative fantasy angle was imaginatively developed, and the characters were thoughtfully named, designed, and portrayed throughout. Thank you so much for your feedback!

Chinelookeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelookeke.html
Latest Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Chinelookeke »

Very interesting story though meant for toddlers but I still love it because for me ,fantasy is beautiful with the magical powers. Dr. Debra did a beautiful work.

AvidBibliophile

Chinelookeke wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 17:00
Very interesting story though meant for toddlers but I still love it because for me ,fantasy is beautiful with the magical powers. Dr. Debra did a beautiful work.
I honestly think this book could be perfect for any age! By personalizing the 8 trigrams, Dr. Debra made the concepts they represent easily comprehensible and approachable in a way I hadn’t seen before. I recommend this one for sure!

Return to “Children's Books”