Official Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Re: Official Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by jaliper »

I love this. My daughter started to ask me questions I cannot answer. This could be a huge help. I wish it tackled more topics tho. Or probably publish more books that can help kids understand the world. Anyway, thank you
xsquare
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xsquare.html
Latest Review: Kitty and Kat - MiceQuest by Robert Beals III

Post by xsquare »

I like that the book is so educational. The science behind storms is really quite fascinating. Thanks for the great review!
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

I think books like this are great. When the mystery behind something is removed, you tend to act better. Thanks to the author for this wonderful book.
Wuoketch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wuoketch.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wuoketch »

I have read this review and it is completely amazing. This book concerns me as well since I have been frightened by thunder and lightening since I was young. I would read this book to my daughter too who is also frightened. Congratulations on BOTD
SophiaNd
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiand.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by SophiaNd »

I totally agree with the statement from this review that when children understand what is happening during a storm, they feel more in control of their environment and will be more at ease. Thanks for a beautiful review and I think children should be encouraged to read this book and have it been read to them.
Effie Cherotich
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-effie-cherotich.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Effie Cherotich »

Children are always curious about everything. I feel that this book is a huge relief to parents because not only does it serve as a teaching tool, but also explains science to children. It is amazing that children get to understand the true scientific reasoning behind occurrence of thunder and lightning.
Silpi B
Currently Reading: My Angel My Hero
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silpi-b.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Silpi B »

Honestly, I myself have been terrified of thunder and lightning since childhood. But this book certainly seems to give an answer to it that a child will understand. Your review beautifully delves into the different aspects of the book and makes me want to read it even as an adult. That the author explained it in a scientific way yet with the simplicity that would appeal to a child is what makes it the most interesting to me.
Sophia10
Currently Reading: Master the Law of Attraction
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia10.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Sophia10 »

Science is always at such great heights, anyway it uncovers and unravels the myths rather significantly. This book definitely encompasses the same formula to make the children aware of falsehoods of thunders and lightnings. Thank you for the crystalline review.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

I think the best part of this book is that William's dad actually explains what thunder and lightning and doesn't concort any silly kid stories. Not only those he allay the child's fears, he also makes him more enlightened than his peers.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

A book that explains the science behind thunder and lightning to kids sounds like a great way to help them understand the world around them and feel less scared by it. As a kid, my mom liked to watch lightning outside her bedroom window, and I sometimes did it with her, so I mostly grew desensitized to it that way. Actually, I got more fascinated by it than anything. I got worse about the sound of thunder for reasons entirely unrelated to the phenomenon itself, so a book like this never would’ve helped with that. In most cases, though, it should work great. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I love the concept because as a child I was mortally afraid of thunderstorms. I am sure this book will help the young readers to understand the real truth behind them. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

This is a useful read helping children get in control of their fears by understanding a common natural phenomenon with colorful illustrations. Thank you for the detailed review.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

Angels tears and bowling in heaven?! This made me laugh my head off! Thankfully, this book is more grounded in reality and facts than most other children's books.
Daniel-Davis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-davis.html
Latest Review: Grant's Wish by T.S. Pollard

Post by Daniel-Davis »

"When I was a child, I was told rain was angels’ tears, and thunder was the sound of angels bowling in heaven." I did not have an accurate understanding about how thunder was produced either. This book taught me about it. Thank you.

Return to “Children's Books”